Web app not working on chrome

Jump to solution
03-24-2021 01:46 PM
JeffreyWitkamp
New Contributor

We have a portal set up for our company with a custom themed web app. Last week one of the employees complained that he could not access any feature popups on the webapp.

This week the same happened to me. I cannot use the coordinate widget, no popups are loading, and I cannot use measurement tools. Seems like all onclick content broke for Google Chrome.

Clearing cache, changing users or restarting the server doesn't do anything. There are no strange error logs.

All of this content is also working just fine on Firefox and Microsoft Edge. Really seems to be a sudden Chrome thing but I dont know how to fix it.

Also found this post from about 2 weeks ago detailing the same issue: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-web-appbuilder-questions/custom-web-app-not-working-in-chrome/t...

Tags (2)
44 Replies
Brian_Wilson
Occasional Contributor III
Okay, I did not notice this because here we only use the maps in apps but I confirm it happens here too.
The reason is that the map viewer is separate from the webapps viewer, so it's still loading the old API.
It looks like the map viewer is here: C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Portal/framework/webapps/arcgis#home/webmap
It loads viewer.html from that folder and that's what you see when the URL in your browser says something like: https://YOURSERVER/portal/home/webmap/viewer.html
Version 3.28 of the JSAPI is at C:/Program Files/ArcGIS/Portal/framework/jsapi/jsapi but I don't see exactly where viewer.html causes it to load (yet.)
Sadly I can see MANY places in the code where the local URL for the jsapi is directly embedded in the code.
If someone were to replace jsapi/jsapi with the code from the 3.35 API it might work, maybe I will try that at the end of the day when everyone else has gone home and see what happens.
Banff_GIS_Department
New Contributor III

Yeah, we still have that issue in Web Maps as opposed to the Apps which have been fixed by the edits suggested here. Mostly we just server Apps to users, but we do need to configure web maps and one of our staff is impacted by the problem of not being able to see the popups in Chrome... We have a case in with ESRI Canada, nothing heard back yet about this aspect of this problem Should we discuss this elsewhere as it is no longer a WAB problem?

0 Kudos
Banff_GIS_Department
New Contributor III

This just in - ESRI have logged this Web Map problem as a bug:

BUG-000138681 : User cannot identify/click on the MapViewer with Chrome version 89.0.4389.90 or higher for Portal 10.7.1/10.8 on some machines.

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson
I'll bet you an extra large vegan* pizza that this bug gets closed with "fixed in 10.9, please upgrade", because 3.35 is probably already in 10.9 and the Dev Summit is next week and 10.9 release will probably happen just after.
For today though the simplest potential fix is to whack the new JSAPI in there and see if anything breaks. What fun! Another path less risky is to diff the two versions (3.28 and 3.35), find what fixed the popup, and just put the tiny bit of code in. By the time you are done with that 10.9 will be available. Either of these approaches will affect everything in Portal that uses that builtin copy of JSAPI, including WAB if you did not do the change yesterday.
This morning I was trying to find where the map viewer loads in the JSAPI - basically fixing only the viewer -- that's what the env.js fix for WAB does, does not the entire Portal.
My problem is that I have work to do and the map viewer is not used here outside of our 2 GIS folk AFAIK.
(* Okay, your pizza can have cheese if you win the bet.)
Brian_Wilson

Allegedly when the FBI is closing in on someone they seek, they add that person to the Top Ten Most Wanted List, to make themselves look good.

This is kind of like that -- they listed this bug knowing it's already fixed in the next release.

Dan
by
Occasional Contributor

Bug also posted for the Javascript API.  Note the "workaround":

The status of Esri BUG-000138684 - Click events like popups are not responding in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.30 and below in Chrome 89 - that you have been associated with has been changed to New.

Public Explanation:
Case Number: 02765102
Workaround: Upgrade to the ArcGIS API for JavaScript 3.31 or above.

If you would like to view additional information about this bug, please login to My Esri https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs and enter BUG-000138684 in Quick Search.

Esri Support Services

0 Kudos
Brian_Wilson

@Dan Are you sure you got the bug number right? I tried entering the bug in by cutting and pasting, and got "nothing found." Just to be certain I tried again in Firefox. Is it filtered on my account or hidden from public access?

BrianWilson7_0-1617310505369.png

I'm hoping for help on how to upgrade 3.28 to 3.35 and that the bug report would include information on that process.
Then I noted the one bug that shows up used a URL with the number at the end so I typed that in and got "An Error Has Occurred". This is the URL.
https://my.esri.com/#/support/bugs/BUG-000138684

0 Kudos
Dan
by
Occasional Contributor

Yup, copy and pasted.   When I clicked your link, my browser went right to the page.

Brian_Wilson

They are filtering it and only exposing the bug to you. I reserve comment on this policy. At least they could issue a more transparent error message. Like one that says "you don't have access to that".

Is there any actionable information in there like maybe a link to something everyone can read or maybe that you can paste in here? Or is it just "you should upgrade to 3.31 or higher and you deal with it".

0 Kudos
Dan
by
Occasional Contributor

Ah.  I can see keeping cases private, but a bug is a bug, and everyone interested should be able to track it.  Anyway . . . No, nothing more.  Please see attached image.

0 Kudos