Web App Builder - Edits won't save

06-29-2021 09:21 AM
AndrewVan_Wychen1
New Contributor

Has anyone experienced issues with saving changes made on a web app? I have one that if I make a change the application doesn't recognize anything was changed so the option to save stays greyed out (Inactive). I have tried other applications and haven't seen the issue anywhere else and this app was working the last time I was working on it. 

0 Kudos
19 Replies
NathanHeickLACSD
Occasional Contributor III

Try making an additional change, then save it, change it back, and save it.  I have had to do that, but I don't remember why.

AndrewVanwychen
New Contributor II

Thanks for the advise, unfortunately no changes are recognized so there's no option to save. I spoke with ESRI Technical Support - essentially they said it's a known issue and the app has been corrupted in some way. What's interesting is they said to try changing the screen size as that has worked for others, this did work, if I exited full screen with the browser and made the window about half full screen then the app edited and saved as normal. But if I maximized the window and resaved not only did any changes not save the app lost all attribute customization (title/links/icons/color scheme) and returned to all default setting for attributes. 

KristalWalsh
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for posting this. I have lost literally a day's work re-entering my settings because I can't get anything to save. For a while, I thought I was doing something wrong.  I'll have to recreate this entire app and in the meantime, have staff without a way to work. @AlixVezina maybe during our call about the Smart Editor we can also discuss this issue.? Thank you. Kristal

Kristal Walsh, Florida Fish and Wildlife
Office of Conservation Planning
0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

@KristalWalsh @AndrewVan_Wychen1 
The case you are describing sounds like a permissions issue. In some cases, if you do not own the application you are editing, you will not be able to save the changes. Otherwise, maybe this bug report will help? Problem: Unable to save edits in Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (esri.com)

AndrewVanwychen
New Contributor II

@AlixVezina @KristalWalsh 

In my case its not a permission issue, I am the admin/owner for the application for the app and for my organization as a whole. The bug report does match what I was seeing and the approach to fix that I used.

KristalWalsh
I am the owner and the ability to save has been intermittent. However, the app is shared by 4 staff for entering data (they are in different geographical locations) and I didn't know this was a limitation. Because AGOL does not offer robust editing capabilities, the web editor widgets offered a streamlined workflow. So, we need to schedule times to use it? With regard to the tech article solutions, I have tried all of them and none of these work. When choosing another theme none of my settings are retained and all widgets are blank, when I select a new map, the app does not recognize these changes so there is no way to save. I've tried 3 different browsers and resized the browsers. I will use the approach @jcarlson recommended or recreate the app. When is ESRI going to add this functionality to AGOL?
0 Kudos
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding, please let me clarify: sharing the application between multiple editors to perform feature edits simultaneously would not be an issue. Your 4 staff would be able to enter data at the same time as expected. But it appears there could be an issue if there are multiple people building/configuring the application itself. We recommend only one user at the time to make changes to the application configuration.

Regarding the issue you have described "When choosing another theme none of my settings are retained and all widgets are blank" - this is unfortunately a known limitation for themes and data sources, it is recommended choosing your theme and web map before configuring the widgets in the application.

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Here is another user reporting the same issue with sharing the application: Web AppBuilder stops allowing you to save configur... - Esri Community

Unfortunately, I do not see a clear resolution for their existing application. If you have the time and would rather not recreate your application, please contact Esri Support and they may be able to help with your specific case and find the source of the problem.

KristalWalsh

@AndrewVan_Wychen1 you mentioned you're issue was something mentioned on the bug report? What fixed your issue?  I just went back to my first map, the original map used with my web app. All my FS edits appear in the web map and are correct but I still cannot get the web app to recognize any updates. I'll take a look at the report @AlixVezina just mentioned. 

0 Kudos