Web App Builder Developer Edition - Custom Icons Disappearing in Windows I.E. Browser

Jump to solution
02-19-2019 08:30 AM
IanPeebles
Occasional Contributor III

Good morning.  This issue has to do with Web App Builder Version 2.11 Developer Edition.  Has anyone noticed an issue where you add in a custom graphic for a widget by loading it from a location where it is from the network or a local drive that the custom icon causes the tool to disappear from the application when using Windows I.E. 11 on Windows 7 or Windows 8.1?

This was not an issue before Thursday last week.  Were there any know updates to Windows I.E. 11 that cause these issues?

In Chrome and FireFox, the icons exist.

Example (Chrome and Firefox)

Icons all present in Chrome and Firefox

In I.E. 11 on Windows 8.1

Icons missing after measuring widget in I.E. 11

Has anyone experienced this issue or is there a fix for this issue?  Looking to have the application compatible in all browsers.

Thank you!

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ian,

If you maintain windows updates then KB4486474 is the likely culprit :

SymptomWorkaround

After you install this security update, Internet Explorer may not load images that have a backslash (\) in their relative source path.

Change the backslash (\) to a forward slash (/) in the relative path of the image element.

Or:

Change the relative path to a full URL path.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Ian,

If you maintain windows updates then KB4486474 is the likely culprit :

SymptomWorkaround

After you install this security update, Internet Explorer may not load images that have a backslash (\) in their relative source path.

Change the backslash (\) to a forward slash (/) in the relative path of the image element.

Or:

Change the relative path to a full URL path.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

RichBell
Occasional Contributor

Neat...but where do we change this?

What is the image element they speak of?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

The path to the image used in the icons are stored in the main config.json file.

Look for entries like this:

"logo": "images\\logo.png",

and this:

"icon": "\\mypath\\icon.png",

RichBell
Occasional Contributor

Fixed.

I changed \\ to // in the config file for all icon locations.

Thank You again

0 Kudos
IanPeebles
Occasional Contributor III

Robert, thank you again for the valuable information.  That was the issue for sure.  I made some changes in the config.json file and referenced the custom images by changing the \\ to //, then saved the file.  I opened the application and it works. No more missing icons.

This caught us by surprise on Friday (February 15, 2019).

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad to help.

0 Kudos