WAB killed by Chrome 51

Jump to solution
05-25-2016 02:49 PM
BarnabyRockwell
Occasional Contributor III

I just upgraded Chrome to version 51 (51.0.2704.63 x64), and now none of my WAB apps, even AGOL-based apps, will fully load.  They partially load and the progress thingy just keeps spinning.  On my server, WD 1.2 and 1.3 will load into Chrome and show apps, but none of the apps will load fully when launched.  WAB Dev 2.0 will only partially load into Chrome, and no apps are shown.  I can see that I am logged in to my organization's Portal, so that is not the issue.

Does anyone else see this?  Is there some way I can configure Chrome 51 settings to allow WD 2.0 and apps to load fully?

All is normal with Firefox 46.0.1 and IE11.

My organization's default enterprise browser is Chrome, so if anyone upgrades to current version, they won't be able to use any of my apps. 

Chrome 51 includes many security fixes:

Chrome Releases

44 Replies
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Whoa - thanks for this notice all!

0 Kudos
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

All,

FYI, the recent Chrome 51 update has caused some issues working with the ArcGIS API for JavaScript v3.8 - 3.16, which in turn affects Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS. We are currently investigating the issue and are working on a resolution. I will post a status update when we have info to share.

Meanwhile, as Robert Scheitlin, GISP​ suggested, please do not upgrade to Chrome 51.

Hope this helps,

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

Many of us do not have a choice in when browsers are updated....

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Thomas,

Then just follow the link I provided to downgrade.

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

If only it were that easy. We can't even edit the Trusted Sites in IE, (nor turn off the Enterprise Mode). Chrome is equally locked down. Air raid sirens would go off in the concrete bunker if I tried rolling back a chrome version.

BarnabyRockwell

Exactly, Thomas!  Most users here will be auto-upgraded for "security" purposes.

0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor

Barnaby RockwellRobert Scheitlin, GISP et al,
Yes, there is a problem with the Google Chrome 51 (and Chrome Beta 52).  The Chrome code change was however reversed and is not an issue in Google Chome Canary 53. Hopefully, this reversed code will also make it into Chrome 51 as well.  See Issue 597500 - chromium - Pseudo and non pseudo elements don't return correct computed content value...  for more details.

Meanwhile, we are working on patching the software as well.  Yesterday we patched the hosted CDN version of 3.8-3.16, so applications, like WAB, using them should no longer have any problems.  In addition, we are planning further updates to AGO, hopefully tonight.

BarnabyRockwell

Oddly, my WAB behavior with Chrome Stable 51 has changed slightly.

• Locally-hosted WAB Dev apps will not fully load. - Updated 5/27/16
  • AGOL-hosted WAB apps will not fully load, unchanged from yesterday. - Updated 5/31/16
  • WAB Dev 2.0 will not load, showing no apps, unchanged from yesterday. - Fixed with patch by Junshan Liu 6/1/16
  • I cannot reach my organization's Portal at all.  For example, I cannot reach http://myexampleorg.maps.arcgis.com/home/content.html - Updated 5/27/16
  • AGOL-hosted WAB apps cannot be edited using my organization's Portal. The editor hangs with perpetually-spinning progress indicator. Uncaught ReferenceError: normal is not defined - Added 5/27/16 - Updated 5/31/16
0 Kudos
George_Thompson
Esri Frequent Contributor
BarnabyRockwell

Note that Chrome Dev Channel has moved from 52.0.2743.10 to 52.0.2743.0, indicating a reversion of some sort.

bd9df7c452f9a6aadc49214a4a09451fc726be92 - chromium/src - Git at Google

0 Kudos