WAB 2.2 node crashing when creating new web app

Jump to solution
01-06-2017 10:04 AM
GrantHerbert
Occasional Contributor II

I am running WAB 2.2 fine on my local machine, but on at least two machines that also have it installed (and a third that I added 2.2 to), Node is crashing after trying to load jimu.js. The cmd window disappears and the following pops up.

It manages to create a folder with the next numeric id, but that folder only contains a partially populated jimu.js folder (js files stop at DataManager.js, so no exportUtils.js onward), an empty themes folder and an empty widgets folder.

[edit] Creating a 3D app works, but any 2D app fails (including default).

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Grant,

If you do not have any apps you are worried about saving on that machine then just go to the [install dir]\server\db and delete the apps file. Then you delete all the [install dir]\server\apps\ numbered folders. If you do need to save some apps then just export them first so that you can import them later. Next restart WAB and see if you still have issues.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Grant,

If you do not have any apps you are worried about saving on that machine then just go to the [install dir]\server\db and delete the apps file. Then you delete all the [install dir]\server\apps\ numbered folders. If you do need to save some apps then just export them first so that you can import them later. Next restart WAB and see if you still have issues.

AhjungKim4

I was having the same issue and this fixed it. Thank you! 

GrantHerbert

Thanks Robert,

I was really hoping this would solve it but I still have the same issue. The WAB crashes. I have a support call open, so will see if it can be resolved through that. The browser reports a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED

0 Kudos
MichaelDuncan4
New Contributor II

Robert,

I am getting the exact same issue with 2.2, and now 2.1 as well.  I have tried your suggestion, and get the same problem, stopping partway through node creating the jimu folder.  Any other ideas or suggestions?  I had NodeJS v6.9.3 installed, and updated to v7.4.0.  Neither made a difference as expected.  Have also turned off virus protection in case that was causing issues, but same problem.  Getting the exact same issues with any brand new unzipped WAB application.

Thanks for your suggestions as always!

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Michael,

sounds like you need to contact tech support then.

0 Kudos
LianaSmith

I had the same issue because of Antivirus Software that organization nstalled on my PC.

Try running WAB as Windows Server. Here is the link on how to do it:

Run as a Windows service—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

MichaelDuncan4
New Contributor II

Thanks Liana!

Creating a Windows service did work for me, and fixed the issue.  The only bad part now is that only one service can be running at a time, so If I have one WAB Dev version pointing to AGOL, and another pointed to my on premise Portal, I can't switch between the two, as only the windows server is running, and would need to manually switch that.  Shouldn't be too big of a problem, but i'd think there might be some explanation as why node kept crashing.  As mentioned before, I did test without the Antivirus running, and still had the same issues.  For now the best option for me is the windows service.  Thanks again Liana!  I did contact tech support, and they used this thread and your suggestion as the solution.

0 Kudos
LianaSmith

Glad I could help. Please mark my answer as helpful. Thanks!

0 Kudos
GrantHerbert

Follow up to this. 

I was able to replicate this behavior with a main WAB developer at the DevSummit. His thinking is that there seems to be a bug in the node.js in WAB. It only seems to affect Win 7. Running the WAB as a service solves the issue as the node version is different. 

A new WAB is due out soon, hopefully it will correct this issue.