Smart Editor Widget - will not work with attribute driven symbols?

Jump to solution
01-31-2017 11:49 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

I have a hosted feature service in an arcgis.com map.  When it is set to single symbol it shows up in my smart editor feature template pick list in Web AppBuilder.  When I change the symbology of my layer to draw based on the values in an attribute field (ex. inspection complete = Yes/No), it disappears from the smart editor widget, and you can't make any edits to the layer.  I have tried removing the widget and adding it again, and tried every single check box in the settings of the widget, but it wont work.  As soon as i switch back to single symbol, it shows up in the smart editor widget again.

Is this a known issue, or is there some configuration change I need to make?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanAllen

So I figured out the problem.  I published this service to ArcGIS.com originally as a single symbol.  Once in ArcGIS.com I changed it to attribute driven symbols.  So web appbuilder was confused over which feature template to use for editing.  The solution is to add your hosted feature service to a new blank arcgis.com map, set the attribute driven sybmols the way you want them, then hit Edit / Manage and update the feature template.  As soon as i did this, the smart editor widget in web appbuilder came back to life and showed all my symbols for editing.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/manage-feature-templates.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_AF3434...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DanAllen

So I figured out the problem.  I published this service to ArcGIS.com originally as a single symbol.  Once in ArcGIS.com I changed it to attribute driven symbols.  So web appbuilder was confused over which feature template to use for editing.  The solution is to add your hosted feature service to a new blank arcgis.com map, set the attribute driven sybmols the way you want them, then hit Edit / Manage and update the feature template.  As soon as i did this, the smart editor widget in web appbuilder came back to life and showed all my symbols for editing.

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/share-maps/manage-feature-templates.htm#ESRI_SECTION1_AF3434...

DerekPhyn
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Dan Allen, This is a weird one. I had the same issue in that the original service was published in the process of creating a S123 form using S123 Connect and the resulting hosted feature layer only had a single symbol by default. Once I changed that symbol to attribute driven in the webmap I wanted to use the Smart Editor widget in the app using that webmap just showed an empty circle symbol instead of the attribute driven symbols I wanted. While I was skeptical of your solution I tried it and, waddaya know? It works! Cheers!

0 Kudos
RyanBohan

Wish I read this hours ago!  Works great, stupid stupid bug

0 Kudos