Registered WAB Developer Edition 1.2 Deployed on my server wants AGOL login when accessed.

Jump to solution
09-08-2015 07:01 AM
LesHampton
New Contributor III

My Registered App built with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition 1.2 require AGOL login if original AGOL map used to start the app build is not Shared as public. The app has a feature service that has editing capabitles. The data in the App should not be available to the Public. I have an open Incident with ESRI Support. Should the Registered App deployed on my server need AGOL logins when the App is anly available on my domain(Intranet not internet)?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les, I would recommend using a "public" AGOL  map for a basemap and registration only, then use the Local Layer widgets to use your secure (or insecure) services from your AGS services.  Depending on how you have your security setup on AGS will depend on how you access (log in or not) for your intra net users.  If you are accessing the secure services thru inter- net, and do not want users to login at all, you will want to look at using a proxy, as mentioned Jonathan.

my blog  Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​ has links to many resources, including the local layer widget., Using the Web AppBuilder​ has some detailed info on using the widget, and Tips for using the custom LocalLayer widget with WAB-Dev edition​ is a bit outdated but has some tips.

Summary of ArcGIS Server SSL Issues  Is another blog that you might be interested.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Les,

Because you're using a secured ArcGIS Online service, and because you've deployed the application on your own server, you'll need to use the Esri resource proxy. Here's a link to a page that will get you started:

Use proxy—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS '

Jon.

0 Kudos
LesHampton
New Contributor III

Jonathan,

Do you mean that “a service on AGOL not shared as public is considered Secured”? I have ArcGIS server and don’t want to use AGOL at all for my apps. I will probably Proxy this application because it is needed as I am replacing an existing Silverlight App with this new WAB App. And ditch the WAB and write strait up JavaScript Apps in the future.

Thank You,

Lesley G Hampton, GISP

GIS Manager, IT/GIS

617 Mulberry Street, Suite A100

Macon, GA 31201

Work: (478) 621-6402

Cell: (478) 972-9453

0 Kudos
JonathanBailey
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Les,

Yes, if you're hosting the map on ArcGIS Online and haven't made the map public, then you need a security token to access it -- which is what the proxy will handle for you. If you're being prompted for your ArcGIS Online login, then the app is still trying to access something on ArcGIS Online.

Agreed with ditching the WAB; I think it's good as a starting point, but once you get your feet under you, many developers will elect to roll their own apps.

Jon.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Les, I would recommend using a "public" AGOL  map for a basemap and registration only, then use the Local Layer widgets to use your secure (or insecure) services from your AGS services.  Depending on how you have your security setup on AGS will depend on how you access (log in or not) for your intra net users.  If you are accessing the secure services thru inter- net, and do not want users to login at all, you will want to look at using a proxy, as mentioned Jonathan.

my blog  Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List​ has links to many resources, including the local layer widget., Using the Web AppBuilder​ has some detailed info on using the widget, and Tips for using the custom LocalLayer widget with WAB-Dev edition​ is a bit outdated but has some tips.

Summary of ArcGIS Server SSL Issues  Is another blog that you might be interested.

LesHampton
New Contributor III

Rebecca,

Thank You ! I am on my way out the door, but I will check your Blog tomorrow morning. I think this will work as long as there is edit capabilities with the local layers. My services AGS Services are not “secure”.

Thank You,

Lesley G Hampton, GISP

GIS Manager, IT/GIS

617 Mulberry Street, Suite A100

Macon, GA 31201

Work: (478) 621-6402

Cell: (478) 972-9453

0 Kudos
LesHampton
New Contributor III

Rebecca,

I did not realize I was posting those comments on this site. I thought it was going to your email.

RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Glad it all worked out for you Les.  I agree that the dependance on AGOL is not ideal, especially when we have / pay for AGS already, but in esri's defense, Web Appbuilder is an esri product, with development costs and all, so this is a way that they can keep track of usage.  This is not to start an argument but just to ​point out that we get benefits from the product....and especially since we do have this workaround, at least I can live with that.

By the way, if my previous response answered you questions, please make it as answered so this question can be closed and others can find the answer.  Thanks.

LesHampton
New Contributor III

I marked it as the correct answer.

0 Kudos