Select to view content in your preferred language

Questions about certain equivalencies between WAB and EB - trying to transition

Jump to solution
05-31-2023 01:39 PM
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

My organization currently has several dozen web applications that have been built from a Web AppBuilder template I created. I have been tasked with researching the process for creating an equivalent template in ExperienceBuilder so we can transition to the newer technology once we upgrade our Enterprise version.

Most of the widgets/functionalities we have in our WAB template can be created in EB. However, there were several widgets that I had questions on...maybe someone could confirm if I'm understanding each of these correctly?

1. Info Summary Widget - not in EB?
  2. Batch Attribute Widget - not in EB?
  3. Analysis Widget - not in EB?
  4. Filter Widget
    1. Specifically, it doesn't seem like I can add the capability to allow users to create custom filters as needed?
  5. About Widget 
    1. I know I can use a "Text" element in the layout, but there doesn't appear to be an option to add custom HTML. Is this correct?
    2. Another option would be to use an "Embed" element and add my own HTML, but when I copied/pasted my HTML is said I exceeded the character limit.
  6. Attribute Table Widget
    1. I know I can use the "Table" element, but it doesn't look like there's the option to collapse it like we could in WAB. Is there some other intended way to approach this in EB?
  7. Overview Map - not in EB?
  8. Scale Bar - no configuration options like there were in WAB?
  9. My Location - no configuration options like there were in WAB?
  10. Splash Screen
    1. I found that I could add a Window and "Set as Splash", but same as the text field, it looks like it doesn't allow for adding custom HTML, correct?
  11. Smart Editor Widget
    1. Looks like the intention from Esri is to use the Edit widget along with Smart Forms configured in Map Viewer

I know that's a lot....if you've read this far, thank you!! Happy to hear any insight people may have on any of these items.

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Katie_Clark , I may be able to help answer some of your questions above.

1. Info Summary Widget - right now, we are working on providing this functionality as part of the new Near Me widget, coming as beta in June 2023.
  2. Batch Attribute Editor Widget - this functionality is a work in progress and will be part of the Edit widget in the future.
  3. Analysis Widget - this functionality is a work in progress and will be available in an upcoming release of ExB (maybe this fall or early 2024, perhaps @Jianxia has more details)
  4. Filter Widget, allow create custom filters. - not yet available, we are aware of this need. Please upvote this idea: Filter widget -“Create a custom filter" function f... - Esri Community  
  5. About Widget - good questions, I am not sure. I usually recommend using the Card widget. For HTML limitation, perhaps @Jianxia has more details.
  6. Attribute Table Widget - check out the Foldable template. It uses the Sidebar layout widget where you can place a Table. 
    AlixVezina_0-1685577757916.png
    AlixVezina_1-1685577798506.png 
  7. Overview Map - You can use another Map widget with a set scale, and use message actions to synchonzie extent (pan to).
    AlixVezina_2-1685577915203.png
  8. Scale Bar - only tool available is as part of the Map widget.
  9. My Location - only tool available is as part of the Map widget.
  10. Splash ScreenFor HTML limitation, perhaps @Jianxia has more details.
  11. Smart Editor Widget - yes, the functionality in the Edit widget (and perhaps some other widgets) is planned to fill in for the Smart Editor widget functionality over time. Check out:  From the Smart Editor to Smart Forms (esri.com)

If something is missing that you need, please feel free to log a new ArcGIS Idea for Experience Builder!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MeganEngel
Occasional Contributor II

Hey Katie, I have included some responses in bold below.  I think the first step to some of these may be to update your Enterprise.  The info below is from my experience using EB apps in AGOL.

1. Info Summary Widget - not in EB? – Have you tired the feature Info widget if tied to actual data. Or is this for an actual info button with text about the app/functions?  If the latter, try adding a button, then connect that button to a new “Window”.  That would function as a popup.
  2. Batch Attribute Widget - not in EB – I do not see this in the AGOL version of EB either.
  3. Analysis Widget - not in EB? - I do not see this in the AGOL version of EB either.
  4. Filter Widget
    1. Specifically, it doesn't seem like I can add the capability to allow users to create custom filters as needed – In the AGOL version, this is correct as well.  However, try looking at the Query filter, and maybe add all the fields a user would filter off of.  This I don’t think will allow them to select any field, but by providing the various field they would need they can query a layer and the results will pop up in the dialog and they can review them.
  5. About Widget – Check this documentation here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/experience-builder/latest/configure-widgets/embed-widget.htm
    1. I know I can use a "Text" element in the layout, but there doesn't appear to be an option to add custom HTML. Is this correct? -
    2. Another option would be to use an "Embed" element and add my own HTML, but when I copied/pasted my HTML is said I exceeded the character limit.
  6. Attribute Table Widget – Try using a sidebar element, then embed the table inside of it.  You can then set the element to be collapsed or open when the app opens.
  7. Overview Map - not in EB - I do not see this in the AGOL version of EB either.
  8. Scale Bar - no configuration options like there were in WAB – correct (at least as I see it AGOL)
  9. My Location - no configuration options like there were in WAB - correct (at least as I see it AGOL)
  10. Splash Screen
  11. I found that I could add a Window and "Set as Splash", but same as the text field, it looks like it doesn't allow for adding custom HTML, correct? correct (at least as I see it AGOL)
    1. You could try adding multiple text elements with various formatting to accomplish this.  Sounds like you have a standardized HTML template you would like to use?
  12. Smart Editor Widget – When I have set up the edit widget in EB, I use the “Customize” setting for the configure fields drop down, then select which filed to be visible for edits.   Alternatively you should be able to set it up in the map used for the EB app.
    1. Looks like the intention from Esri is to use the Edit widget along with Smart Forms configured in Map Viewer – I have not tried this yet!

Hope this helps!

-M

AlixVezina
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Katie_Clark , I may be able to help answer some of your questions above.

1. Info Summary Widget - right now, we are working on providing this functionality as part of the new Near Me widget, coming as beta in June 2023.
  2. Batch Attribute Editor Widget - this functionality is a work in progress and will be part of the Edit widget in the future.
  3. Analysis Widget - this functionality is a work in progress and will be available in an upcoming release of ExB (maybe this fall or early 2024, perhaps @Jianxia has more details)
  4. Filter Widget, allow create custom filters. - not yet available, we are aware of this need. Please upvote this idea: Filter widget -“Create a custom filter" function f... - Esri Community  
  5. About Widget - good questions, I am not sure. I usually recommend using the Card widget. For HTML limitation, perhaps @Jianxia has more details.
  6. Attribute Table Widget - check out the Foldable template. It uses the Sidebar layout widget where you can place a Table. 
    AlixVezina_0-1685577757916.png
    AlixVezina_1-1685577798506.png 
  7. Overview Map - You can use another Map widget with a set scale, and use message actions to synchonzie extent (pan to).
    AlixVezina_2-1685577915203.png
  8. Scale Bar - only tool available is as part of the Map widget.
  9. My Location - only tool available is as part of the Map widget.
  10. Splash ScreenFor HTML limitation, perhaps @Jianxia has more details.
  11. Smart Editor Widget - yes, the functionality in the Edit widget (and perhaps some other widgets) is planned to fill in for the Smart Editor widget functionality over time. Check out:  From the Smart Editor to Smart Forms (esri.com)

If something is missing that you need, please feel free to log a new ArcGIS Idea for Experience Builder!

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Thank you @AlixVezina and @MeganEngel  for your very thorough answers! Much appreciated. 🙂

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
LearnThenShare
New Contributor III

@AlixVezina I can appreciate your best attempt to answer these specific and extremely important questions, but why in the heck should any of us ask for a widget that is widely used to be added as a new ArcGIS Idea when it is not new at all.  What is it with the "new" technology that limits bringing Ex B to full parity with Web AppBuilder?  Is there truly a limit on creating these widgets?  Who is in control and why is it taking so long for Ex B to become what it was promised to be?  The only thing I can think of is that Esri partners are angry that they are losing business because Esri made it too easy for many to create their own applications.  I could be wrong, but it does not make sense that Esri is slow rolling or not actually planning to bring Ex B to full parity.  I hope I am wrong.  Thank you.

RyanTucker
New Contributor III

Im going to echo this. We should not need to add ideas for functionality that was already existing. 

Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi @Katie_Clark, the Analysis widget is planned to be available in Q4 2023, along with the Geoprocessing widget and app URL parameters. Custom HTML currently is not supported. To help prioritize the issue, could you please help submit an enhancement request to Esri Support? Thanks!

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi @Jianxia , thanks for your response. How do I go about submitting a specific enhancement request? (or do you just mean posting an "Idea" here on the Esri forum?)

Also, just want to say that I think supporting at least some amount of custom HTML for text elements should be standard in Esri web applications. I've seen it requested for Story Maps, Pop-Ups, ExB, etc....we might not all be developers, but having at least a little bit more control over how text is displayed is a pretty standard and oft-requested need from users, I think.

Best,
Katie

- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
Jianxia
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Katherine, an internal issue has been created for the tracking purpose. You may go to this site to submit a request. Thank you for your feedback.

0 Kudos