Layers from feature service are not grouped when added to a web map

Jump to solution
05-31-2018 07:08 AM
deleted-user-M60zj5lhCxwn
New Contributor II

I have a service that I've been using for about a year in an ArcGIS web app builder map. I needed to update the service url to include https instead of http and to use the feature service instead of the map service. I need to use the feature service so that I can change symbology. Both changes require adding a new instance of the service to my content (to save my credentials) and then add the saved service to the map and updating configuration. The existing instance of this service was added to the map as a set of grouped layers. Now, when I add the updated service, the layers are not grouped but added individually. What do I need to do differently to replicate the existing grouping?Kelly Gerrow I saw that you discussed adding single layers from a service in 2017. That setup seemed more flexible than forcing single layers. Do you have any advice?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Julia,

Grouped layers are a component of Dynamic Map Image Layers and are not supported with Feature layers. If you want to maintain the group layers, I suggest using a map service url instead of the individual layer.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Julia,

Grouped layers are a component of Dynamic Map Image Layers and are not supported with Feature layers. If you want to maintain the group layers, I suggest using a map service url instead of the individual layer.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Does Esri have an approximate time-frame for when we are finally going to be able to group feature services in web maps and web apps?

We have maps of water, sewer, and storm drain utilities and we rarely are able to use feature services because my users do not want to check/uncheck 10 items when they used to only have to check/uncheck 1 item. Which means we have to choose between usability (less checking/unchecking) and dynamic legends (not supported with dynamic map image services) for our ArcGIS Portal maps.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
AdminPD
New Contributor II

Joshua, have you heard back on this? Did you find an alternate workflow? We are needing to switch from MS to FS for dynamic legends as well, but not being able to group layers makes using FS layers and a dynamic legend unusable.

0 Kudos
Joshua-Young
Occasional Contributor III

Apparently the new Map Viewer based on ArcGIS API for JavaScript 4.x will eventually be able to group feature services, but there is no timeframe that I have found from Esri on when it will be available.

Good news is as of ArcGIS 10.7.1 there is an alternative workflow. Starting at that version, print services support dynamic legends for map services. However, you will have to republish the map service to ArcGIS Server 10.7.1 using ArcGIS Pro to enable the functionality. I have not been able to test this myself since I am stuck on an older version of ArcGIS Server for the time being.

"Not all those who wander are lost" ~ Tolkien
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Admin PD‌, could you pls explain what you meant by 'dynamic legends in regards to MS'?

0 Kudos
jorisfrenkel
Occasional Contributor II

I was surprised to find out that grouped layers officially are not supported in feature services. We have been using a mapservice with a group of editable layers since about half a year without any problems, using ArcGIS Enterprise 10.6.1. The service is published in ArcGIS Online and the layers are edited with the Collector App. But I have to add that we don't use dynamic legends for this service, just editing.

0 Kudos