Is there a way to change the zoom levels. so that one can zoom in beyond 60ft/20m

Jump to solution
05-11-2015 08:20 AM
GeorgeKatsambas
Occasional Contributor III

Is there a way to change the zoom levels. so that one can zoom in beyond 60ft/20 m using an ESRI base map. I have tried in edit to change zoom scales but it seems by default zoom in beyond 60 ft is not available.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi George,

The ESRI Basemaps & Google Maps all have the same 20 common web map zoom levels because those are the scales that tile creation was done at.  If you were to zoom in closer, there is no tile layer associated with that view.  You can create your own basemap tiles and set their zoom levels at cache creation if you wanted to make something custom for your needs.

Cheers,

Todd

View solution in original post

12 Replies
ToddBlanchette
Occasional Contributor II

Hi George,

The ESRI Basemaps & Google Maps all have the same 20 common web map zoom levels because those are the scales that tile creation was done at.  If you were to zoom in closer, there is no tile layer associated with that view.  You can create your own basemap tiles and set their zoom levels at cache creation if you wanted to make something custom for your needs.

Cheers,

Todd

GeorgeKatsambas

Thanks Todd, I guess I will have to live with the current zoom levels, I would ideally like using the imagery layer to zoom in to street level basically as far as I could. But I guess this level of zoom will have to do.

0 Kudos
JeffWard

I don't think it is possible.  Those basemaps are cached at those levels.  If you did zoom in, the basemap would become pixelated.  You can add the basemaps to ArcMap and zoom in to a larger scale, but if you do you will see the degradation of the basemap's resolution.

Jeff Ward
Summit County, Utah
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

George,

I add LODs to my WAB App that allow for zooming in beyond the esri basemap lowest scale and to prevent any issue that Jeff mentioned I just set the maxScale of the esri basemap to turn it off. In WAB 1.1 you can define extra LODs in the maps UI dialog.

GeorgeKatsambas

Thanks Robert, how do you change the maps UI dialogue?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

George,

in WAB on the map tab you will find the "Customize Visible Scales" (which means LODs).

GeorgeKatsambas

Yes that's where I changed them, so if I wanted to add the ability to zoom in to 10 feet using aerial imagery would by format be 10 on LOD UI, I think my format is incorrect.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

George,

Do you have some custom basemap that would render at the 10ft scale?

0 Kudos
GeorgeKatsambas

It seems that no be able to zoom in as close as possible to a street level view I would need to create my own custom base map. I think I will stick with these LOD's and use your google street view widget?

I also think that at ESRI UC everyone from this WAB group should meet you and buy you a beer, so give or take that's A LOT of beer.