importing external data(Geoserver) to WAB

03-25-2020 08:06 AM
AyoubBeltarchi1
New Contributor

i'm starting a web app using ArcGIS WAB, i want to import my data without using ArcGIS Server, from Geoserver or PostgreSQL is it possible?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Not that I am aware of, but that is a question for them.

0 Kudos
AlbertoGomez2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, 

Thanks for your response. After researching a lot is not clear for me if using data from Google Map onto ArcGIS web mapping is allowed or not, so I forgot that option and I decided to use data from OpenStreetMap instead.

I created a python script to download POIs (points of interests) from OSM, which based on a given pair of coordinates (x,y), all the POIs within 4 km from the coordinates are downloaded. The output of the Python script is a Geojson file with all the points. 

I want to use this script in my ArcGIS Web Application. Given a pair of coordinates from the user, the python script would be triggered in order to download the data from OSM. After that,  the data would be display in the Web Application. 

Do you know how can I do that without ArcGIS server? I called esri and I cannot afford it at this stage, as I am just prototyping. 

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Does the python script return a string or a url?

0 Kudos
AlbertoGomez2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Thanks for your answer.

The python script return a geojson file.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 13:09, Robert Scheitlin, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alberto,

Well that makes things VERY difficult. That means that the python script would have to be converted to a Geoprocessing Service on ArcGIS Server so that the JS code could call it and then the file would need to be hosted by a web server to be available as a url so that WAB could consume it. Sorry to say that this is advanced GIS Developer work.

0 Kudos
AlbertoGomez2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert,

Yes, that was the solution that came to me first, deploy the Python script

as a Geoprocessing Service and call it from my web Application via ArcGIS

REST interface. The problem with that approach is that I need ArcGIS server

and it is quite expensive.

On Wed, 13 May 2020 at 16:54, Robert Scheitlin, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos