importing external data(Geoserver) to WAB

03-25-2020 08:06 AM
AyoubBeltarchi1
New Contributor

i'm starting a web app using ArcGIS WAB, i want to import my data without using ArcGIS Server, from Geoserver or PostgreSQL is it possible?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Sure just create a Web Map on AGOL that uses your ArcGIS Services and then have your WAB App use that Web Map.

0 Kudos
AyoubBeltarchi1
New Contributor

I already made an app using WAB, but i want to load my data from Geoserver to this app

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

A WAB app uses a Web Map and what ever data that is in that Web Map. So if you want your data to be available in WAB then you should add it to the Web Map that your WAB app is using. If you want to add your data at runtime to the App then you use the Add Data widget.

0 Kudos
AyoubBeltarchi1
New Contributor

so if i want to use WAB app, i can only import my data from ArcGIS Online? i downloaded the app, and i wanna change the code so i can import data from Geoserver without passing my data to ArcGIS. is that possible?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

You will not be Importing your data to ArcGIS Online. You will only be have the Web Map on ArcGIS Online point to the data on your ArcGIS Server (there is a pretty big difference). WAB is NOT designed to make direct use of your ArcGIS Server services directly. There are some custom widgets Like the Local Layer Widget that extend WAB to be able to do this but I have personally quit using these some time ago in favor of just doing it the way esri designed WAB to work (meaning build a Web Map on AGOL that uses your local ArcGIS Server services).

0 Kudos
AyoubBeltarchi1
New Contributor

well i downloaded that widget LocalLayer i added some layers from Geoserver into it but no data is loaded in the map, i can see that layers are added but with no feature, can u help me with that?

0 Kudos
AlbertoGomez2
New Contributor II

Hi, 

Interesting debate. 

I have here a similar issue: I want my Web Application to use data from Google Map (just because is more comprehensive), in particular POI (point of interests) based on a location provided by the user. Download the data and store it somewhere beforehand is not an option as I would need a massive amount of store resources so I would need in such a way to trigger a script to download the data from Google Maps based on the point picked by the user. 

I already have that a Python script to do that but I don't really understand how to integrate that script into WAB. 

Any advice? 

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alberto,

I want my Web Application to use data from Google Map

This would be a violation of Google Maps Terms of Service. You can not use Google Data with any other map then Google Maps.

AlbertoGomez2
New Contributor II

Hi Robert, 

Thank you very much for your response. 

is it not possible to use Google Maps data out of Google Maps even if you pay for that?

0 Kudos