If I deploy a custom widget, in my Portal for ArcGIS internally hosted Portal, do I void my support warranty for Portal?

08-15-2016 10:58 AM
jamesmullen
New Contributor II

I want to add a couple of widgets (Esri Nearby, and add shapefile) to my portal for ArcGIS portal (10.4.1), but I don't want to void my support warranty if I do so.  I'm getting conflicting messages from this forum, what is the official answer?

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

James,

I am not sure where you are seeing conflicting answers. The answer is no you can not make changes to portal code without making your portal in supportable by ESRI. If you want those new widgets you will have to wait for the next portal version.

0 Kudos
jamesmullen
New Contributor II

Robert, thanks for the reply.  I'm trying to understand why I can't add widgets in, as long as I don't change core portal code.  This is extremely limiting and kind of flys in the face of innovation for portal.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

James,

It is quite simple the portal product has been tested and certified with the widgets it comes with and adding widgets that did not come with that version means there is possibility for errors that the ESRI tech support team are not prepared to handle and this will mean your portal will no longer be supportable.

0 Kudos
jamesmullen
New Contributor II

Right, understood, but it seems that it should be that they support everything up until the widget that you installed, but not past that.  Ironically, I'm wanting to use the nearby widget (Esri developed) but it is not in the current 10.4.1 implementation of portal.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

James,

But if you made the change to portal (albeit an ESRI widget) what is to say you did not tinker with other code. So simple rule is if you modify portal in any way it is no longer supported.

DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

FYI, with the release of ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1, Web AppBuilder embedded in Portal for ArcGIS now supports custom widgets. Please see this blog,

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS now supports Custom Widgets in ArcGIS Enterprise 10.5.1 | ArcGIS Blog 

Hope this helps,