How to turn off new "auto saved map extent and layer visibility" in Nov 2015 update?

11-19-2015 07:53 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

The November 2015 ArcGIS.com update has a new feature listed for Web AppBuilder where the app automatically saves your last location and layer visibility for the next time you open the app.  HOW DO I TURN THIS OFF?  This seems to be causing issues with map layers not loading that are coming from our internal server.  Plus, I want all the layers to go back to the map default each time on map open.

Thanks

Dan

Tags (1)
53 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dan,

I don't see an configuration for this new feature. So you can not turn it off currently. I would call esri tech support immediately and get this logged as an enhancement request.

DanAllen

Further testing, the issue we have relates to grouped layers in the table of contents of the Web App.  Previously we had for example, several districts that were all checked on, contained in a group layer that was checked off by default.  So if a user wants to see all the districts, they just had to check on the group.  After the November update, when the app "auto-saves" on close, the next time you open the app, the grouped layer and all its subordinates are all un-checked.  So the user who was used to just checking on the group layer, now does so and nothing happens.  They have to expand the group and check all the layers on one by one.

I checked the ArcGIS.com map that controls the Web App, and group layer is un-checked and the subordinates are still all checked as they should be, and as by design before the November update.

0 Kudos
DanAllen

Sometimes all you need to do is read the help menu.  ESRI clearly states that if you use several of their new URL parameters, it will not save app state on close.  So I simply added "&level=16" to the end of my app shortcut url (my map started at zoom level 16 before), it starts out at the default map extent like it used to, and the issue with grouped layer subordinates being un-checked also goes away.

I guess I would prefer an option in the web app builder configuration page about saving app state, but for now, this workaround will do.

http://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/manage-apps/app-url-parameters.htm

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

For those that are searching for the line that Dan is referencing look at this link:

View and edit app—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | ArcGIS

ColeAndrews

Robert Scheitlin, GISP​ or Jianxia Song​, how does the 'save app state' feature conceptually work for apps deployed on a web server? I ask because it seems it possibly solve this thread:

Allow App User to Save Their Personal Settings

Based on that documentation you linked, clearing the cache will clear the app state info. So, would this indicate the app is using HTML5 local storage for any user accessing the apps?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cole,

As the Developer version is not out yet (for v1.3) I have not looked under the hood of this new feature to see exactly which mechanism they are using but local storage with a fall back of cookies would be my guess.

ColeAndrews

@Robert, any chance you have had the opportunity to look 'under the hood' to know what storage method this feature is using?

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cole,

Sure they are using a new class called the AppStateManager and this class uses the libs/storejs/storage and libs/md5/md5 to store the data in local storage of browser after it has been hashed using md5.

ColeAndrews

Thanks for the info. So basically, the anonymous users accessing a deployed app will have their app state saved by their browsers local storage until it's cleared?

0 Kudos