How to get an app built from custom template hosted on Portal?

03-14-2017 12:47 AM
JohannesNyman
New Contributor

Hello all!

1. I have built a custom app with the Web Appbuilder Developer edition and exported it to Portal (10.5) as a template but when I try to make an application from the template, it hosts it to the same local URI as the web appbuilder developer edition. I would like to host it similarly as any other app created in Portal. Is it even possible to host these kind of custom apps in Portal? 

Another question slightly related to this:

2. If I have an App template that's built in the web edition of Web Appbuilder and I've made it a configurable app, how to tweak the JSON config so that when I make a new App from the template, all the widgets (like Chart or Filter for instance) would use the new layers of the new web map and work correctly. The layers are always in the same format, in the same order, named the same and have the same fields and the only difference is the web map's name which changes and of course the actual data. I've tried many JSON configurations but been unsuccessful. I should probably get the right value for the rest service URL or WebmapLayerId attributes but how?  A drop menu that shows the layers of the new map would be the optimal solution. The layers are inside a Map Image Layer and are polylines, polygons or points. 

Thanks already and I hope I was clear enough!

0 Kudos
1 Reply
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Johannes,

> Is it even possible to host these kind of custom apps in Portal? 

No, Portal for ArcGIS does NOT support hosting custom apps within its "content". The approach you would take is to host your custom apps on your own web server, then you can reference these apps by adding them as a Portal item.

> ... how to tweak the JSON config so that when I make a new App from the template, all the widgets (like Chart or Filter for instance) would use the new layers of the new web map and work correctly.

I'm not sure if this is possible, as there are potentially many variables/parameters within each widget that may need to be re-set for the new data content.

Hope this helps,

0 Kudos