How fast do API developed apps begin to malfunction due to outdated js?

01-14-2020 11:16 AM
BrookeHodge
New Contributor III

I am considering using the Web App Developer Java Script API to develop a custom app vs using ESRI's templates.  Due to project funding, after app completion we don't have continuous funding to keep the app 'up to date', so we want the app to last as long as possible before needing any additional work.  When using ESRI's templates and keeping it hosted on ArcGIS online organizational account, when new versions of js are released, they are automatically updated and kept running smoothly.  However, when you create a custom app (developer) using the API, you need to host elsewhere (not arcgis online) and as js versions start to get outdated, the app, or parts of it, may begin to stop working properly (at least that is what I have heard happens).  I am new to thinking about moving more towards the developer side of thing (instead of the out-of-the box templates), but what I want to build is not available through the current Web App Builder options, so I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to try and figure out how to make a custom app with the developer edition.   I am curious as to what the expected time frame is for a custom developed app to last before it needs an overhaul to continue to run smoothly (1 year, 5 years, etc.)?  I would appreciate any thoughts or experience on this. Thanks in advance to taking the time to consider this.

0 Kudos
0 Replies