How do you get newly added fields to show up in the edit widget?

Jump to solution
02-09-2018 01:51 PM
deleted-user-qzyyiYme1rz9
New Contributor III

I recently added a few fields to a feature service and they show up correctly in pop-up in the map, however when I edit the settings for the edit widget web appbuilder the new attribute is not visible as an option for editable or viewable attributes. I have also tried completely deleting the edit widget, saving and re-adding it with no luck. The edit box is checked next to the new attributes in the pop-up configuration. I really need to make this new field editable via the edit widget in our app. Any ideas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
FrancescoGiovinazzo
New Contributor III

I think I am going to save a lot of lives here, because I have discovered a workaround that fixes the problem.

By using Livia suggestion and checking ArcGIS Online Assistant (which I suggest to use, is very powerful) I doscovered that the real problem is not in the editor nor the app, it is in the MAP!

If you open the map json and scroll to your layer information, you will discover the fields definitions, something like:

{
"fieldName": "NOTE_RISOLUZIONE",
"label": "NOTE_RISOLUZIONE",
"isEditable": true,
"tooltip": "",
"visible": true,
"stringFieldOption": "textarea",
"isEditableOnLayer": true
},

This definition is perfectly correct, but if you scroll to your NEWLY ADDED FIELDS

{
"fieldName": "CATEGORIA",
"label": "CATEGORIA",
"isEditable": false,
"visible": true,
"stringFieldOption": "textbox"
},

See something missing?

"isEditableOnLayer": true

This option is not getting added when you add new fields to a service, thus not working correctly in the Editor Widget

Add that option to true, save the json, open your WAB and shazam!, your newly added fields will be in the editor widget config window.

IMHO this is a BUG and should be addressed by ESRI

View solution in original post

25 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alexis,

Strange that should have worked (deleting the widget and re-adding). Can you try that again but this time close WAB and clear your bowsers cache and re-start WAB then add the widget back.

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Robert, I just tried this again, in incognito window. Deleted the widget. Saved. Closed incognito window (which should clear cache), re-opened incognito window and re-added the widget. The new attributes are still not showing up. 

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Alexis,

Your right I just tested and got the same results. I see in my Web Map that the popup is configured for that layer to display the new field. I tried switching web maps and then back and nothing seems to be working for get the edit widget to update the layer available fields... I even manually added it as a field in the Widget widgets config.json...  I even tried to create a new app... Still no luck. This is something you need to report to tech support.

0 Kudos
MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having exactly the same problem. Did you get the issue resolved somehow?

0 Kudos
New Contributor III

Unfortunately I have not really found a solution yet. I've been back and forth with tech support and they think it is caused by my "fishy" data. They said they were unable to replicate the problem on their end, though they did see it not working for me through screen-share. There are a few work arounds that we have discussed and that I have tried with varying success.

First, when you add a new field and configure the pop-up to make that field editable, instead of saving the layer, just save the webmap (do this in the web map that the web appbuilder is pointing to). I was able to get this approach to work for one of my layers, but not the rest. 

Second, try exporting the data and then overwriting the feature service with the downloaded data using ArcMap or ArcGIS pro. My services cannot be overwritten this way, so I have not been able to test this method. 

Please share if you find any solution!

MalcolmJ
Occasional Contributor II

I did find a way around it, but it was the nuclear option....

I have my feature service running from ArcGIS Server and registered with ArcGIS Online as an item (not stored as a feature service in AGOL). Then loaded into the webmap from there. I basically deleted everything from AGOL and started again. So re-registered the feature service and recreated the webmap and the web app. This fixed it, the new field showed up after that.

So I got around it, but I wasted an hour of my time. Definitely looks like a bug to me in the Edit widget in the Web App Builder.

ToddLusk
New Contributor III

Running into this exact same issue.  It does seem like it's only the "Edit" widget is the only one that has the problem "seeing" the new field.  Several of the other widgets ("Smart Editor", "Filter", "Attribute Table", etc.) seem to be able to see the new field just fine.

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Todd,

You should open a support case with esri tech support with your findings/issue.

0 Kudos
ToddLusk
New Contributor III

Trust me, I'm seriously considering it.

0 Kudos