How do I transfer an application built on my PC with Web AppBuilder Developer to My Content on our organization's ArcGIS Online?

11-28-2016 03:42 PM
EmilioSolano
New Contributor III

In order to try the enahanced widgetsI built a simple app on my office's PC (localhost:3344/webappbuilder) using WAB Developer, now I want to know how to transfer the app to my organization's AGOL under My Content (lacounty.maps.ArcGIS.com)

Thanks,

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DerekLaw
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Emilio,

Apps built with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition cannot be uploaded into ArcGIS Online. You'll have to host your app on your own web server, then you can reference it in ArcGIS Online by adding it as a new referenced web app item.

Add items—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

(see add apps section)

Hope this helps and this finds you well,

EmilioSolano
New Contributor III

Hi Derek,

I'm doing fine, thanks. I guess what I meant was how to move the app built on my PC to our enterprise web server, where is were I have other apps built with the regular version of WAB on AGOL.

I installed WAB Developer on my PC and it appears to show in our organization's My Content as an app. When I use that WAB, though,  the new app gets created on my PC not on our web server. Is there a way to install the WAB Developer on the enterprise server so the new app gets created and readily accessible under My Content as it happens when using the regular WAB? It's so easy to built an app with WAB, that I can't understand why ESRI made it so difficult to deploy the apps built with WAB Developer. At least for me!  

Regards,

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Emilio,

> I guess what I meant was how to move the app built on my PC to our enterprise web server, where is were I have other apps built with the regular version of WAB on AGOL

All apps that you created with Web AppBuilder in ArcGIS Online are hosted within ArcGIS Online; unless you downloaded them and decided to host them locally on your own web server - which is what you've done I guess.

> I installed WAB Developer on my PC and it appears to show in our organization's My Content as an app.

This is correct. But all this means is that you've just registered Web AppBuilder Developer Edition with your ArcGIS Online organization. So it can use your web maps and other resources in the organization.

> When I use that WAB, though,  the new app gets created on my PC not on our web server.

Yes, this is expected behavior.

> Is there a way to install the WAB Developer on the enterprise server so the new app gets created and readily accessible under My Content as it happens when using the regular WAB?

When you create new apps with Web AppBuilder Developer Edition, the apps are stored within the installation directory of Developer Edition. It is typically: C:\WebAppBuilder21\WebAppBuilderForArcGIS\server\apps and within this location are subfolders, where each folder represents a web app. You can copy a web app's folder to your own web server (e.g., IIS) to host the apps. If you want them to appear under My Content in ArcGIS Online, you can register each individual web app as a new item following the steps in the help topic I posted previously.

Hope this helps,

James_001
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Derek,

I have problem while deploying on IIS locally on other computer in my organization. My app and map are registered and shared withing organization. I did try on my computer on IIS(localhost) it is working fine. App template and layout loaded on that  other computer but map data is not coming? Any help please?

0 Kudos
DerekLaw

Hi Irfan,

I'm not clear on your issue and workflow. So you installed Web AppBuilder Developer Edition on your own computer (machine A), connected it to your ArcGIS Online organization (or Portal for ArcGIS?) and everything works.

Next, you installed Web AppBuilder Developer Edition on a different computer (machine B), connected it to the same ArcGIS Online organization (or Portal for ArcGIS?) is that right? Then, what did you do next?

0 Kudos