Has anyone hosted a WAB app on a free host site?

04-14-2016 11:01 AM
CharlesBailey3
Occasional Contributor II

We have built an app in WAB 1.3 which is for the moment on our network server. We need to temporarily get it accessible to the internet for a training session, but don't have a public IP available through our agency. I have been trying various means to host the app using commercial free services - have tried github, Google Drive, and 000webhost but none of these work. GH and GD hang up on initialize after the login and map display, and 000 throws errors for all the widgets. Has anyone successfully hosted a WAB app with one of these services, and if so how? Thanks, cob

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
CharlesBailey3

Thanks Robert - can you do this with a site that includes web editing of feature services? I think that may be the sticking point (?) I don't really understand GitHub very well but used the terminal commands to load the app into the repo the first time, and the desktop sync this time and still the same result. Here is a view of the console errors - this is after the AGOL login is accepted and the map starts loading. Can you make anything of it? Thanks for your help - cobErrorLoadingAppGitHub.png

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Cob,

So you have the site coming up  and the first error about permissions is absolutely normal as this is what happens first and then the Identity manager show to allow you to login. All the other token error are whats concerning. The _FeatureTable and the _RelationshipTable error are also normal (unfortunately). I secured my web map and tested again and got the first error about permissions but then after that all was well. Is there something that is not coming up correctly for you or are you just focusing on the errors in the console?

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Robert, if this essentially works on GitHub, would it essentially work in a place like Google Drive as well?

(I don't mean to hijack this thread...)

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Adrian,

I don't have any experience with Google Drive but yes it should.

0 Kudos
CharlesBailey3

My app behaves exactly the same on Google Drive as GitHub, so I would say

if it works on one it would work on the other. But mine won't work on

either, alas...cob

On Fri, Apr 15, 2016 at 9:57 PM, Robert Scheitlin, GISP <geonet@esri.com>

0 Kudos