filter by spatial intersection with another layer?

10-09-2018 12:59 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello!

We are creating a dashboard (using the Dashboard theme) in WAB that will show damage assessments (points) from Hurricane Florence.  We need to be able to filter the points by city limits (a separate polygon layer).  For example, the user only wants to see the damage assessments that fall within North Topsail Beach city limits and have the charts in the dashboard update accordingly.  We have messed around with the Query widget but it shows all the damage assessment points and then highlights the selected ones.  The charts show data for everything in the map extent, not the selected points.  We want to filter (i.e. only show) those in the city limits the user has selected and have the charts reflect the selected points.  Does anyone know of a  widget (ESRI or custom) that does this?  FYI - We can't use the operational dashboard for this since the map service from the vendor doesn't support statistics.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Does your point feature layer have a field that specifies the city limits, and if not, do you have a way that you could add and calculate that field? If so, the filter widget should work just fine. I use a very similar workflow by setting up custom filters with the filter widget so the user can select to "show only parcels with [specified attribute]". 

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We don't have a city limits field and the vendor has the schema locked down so we can't add it ourselves without breaking the vendor's application.  I wish we could but unfortunately not an option which is why I need a spatial filter query.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Angelia,

What widgets are you using in the dashboard theme? The infographic widget, chart widget? The query widget allows you to select feature that intersect with another layer in the map and then you can add the query result layer to the infographics widget or chart widget.

Also there is the eSearch that allows you to go even further. The eSearch allows you to search a layer for a certain attribute (i.e. like city) and then use that result to spatially select features from another layer. Then the result layer of the eSearch widget can be used in other widgets like chart and infographic.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm using infographic widgets.  The query widget & eSearch creates a new results layer but this new layer is not automatically added to the any of the infographic widgets.  I have to manually go in to add it.  The dashboard is not intended for me to use but for other departments and the county municipalities to use.  I want the charts to update with the current points displayed filtered out (i.e. only the points inside the municipality selected display or vice versa only the points in the unincorporated county display).  I realize I can create a new layer for each municipality and add it to the map and have the user choose the layer needed but the data is still be edited by the tax appraisers and points are moving around.  The 2nd issue I have is that the new results layer is a static snapshot of the data.  I have Swansboro editing their data today because of errors they found.  I am sure other municipalities are as well.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Angelia,

Hmm. I was thinking that you a you run a query or search during your a app configuration to get a query results layer or eSearch result layer and then configure the chart widget and infographic widget for that layer (all done before hand not by the user).

0 Kudos
SaraHopkins
New Contributor II

Hi Angelia,

I am working with a similar issue and just checking in to see if you found an answer or a helpful work around.  

Thanks!

Sara