Does the WebMap Viewer ONLY create proprietary web maps?

Jump to solution
07-19-2014 08:48 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III

I would like to configure my Javascript webmap in the web map viewer and then download EVERYTHING and host exclusively on our enterprise ArcGIS Web Server. The ONLY thing that the WebMap Viewer seems to do is create an ArcGIS Online webmap and then 'reference' it via my locally stored files?!

SURELY ESRI doesn't expect it's customers to rely exclusively on THEIR hosting of the software?

I mean after spending the hundreds of thousands of dollars that some companies do to purchase and run ESRI product, and then to be told that we can create but not host our own Javascript maps created with this Viewer application is kinda insulting, to say the least. ESRI gave us the FlexViewer and we hosted ALL files for those maps. Why is ESRI treating Javascript (of all things) as some kind of proprietary system?!

I would like to create a Javascript map, without having to start-from-scratch and build the entire library of code necessary to mimic the WebMap Viewer maps, and then host EVERY PART OF MY MAP on my own server.

Am I missing something here?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Which WebMap viewer are you referring to?

We host everything internally, api, arcgis server services, applications.  We do not use any webmaps. 

Why is ESRI treating Javascript (of all things) as some kind of proprietary system?!

It is not, it functions exactly the same as Flex.

I would like to create a Javascript map, without having to start-from-scratch and build the entire library of code necessary to mimic the WebMap Viewer maps, and then host EVERY PART OF MY MAP on my own server.

The later of this, as I said, is not a problem.  The first part is the issue.  The web app builder is not final yet.  As of right now, you need to write the code.  But there is a huge amount of examples, etc.. However I believe based on your comments what you are looking for is the Web app builder, which is in beta. 

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer edition)

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | Esri Video

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
MartenHogeweg
Esri Contributor

hi,

if you use ArcGIS Server with Portal for ArcGIS you can host all of the ArcGIS platform on your own servers. You might also be interested in using the ability of the JS API to create a map using a JSON object. the syntax of the JSON = the webmap syntax. You can retrieve the webmap JSON from an ArcGIS Online/Portal for ArcGIS webmap using the proper REST API call.

cheers,

Marten

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

The problem is, I want to be able to open the files and folders of a webmap and customize. Copy and paste. Modify. Much like the Flex Viewer allowed if you had Adobe Flexbuilder and MXML/Actionscript knowledge.

You can't do this with this Webmap Viewer thingie... because the code for the widgets and even the map resides on ESRI's servers, not your own... even tho it's your own servers where the REST Services reside... ugh!

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Which WebMap viewer are you referring to?

We host everything internally, api, arcgis server services, applications.  We do not use any webmaps. 

Why is ESRI treating Javascript (of all things) as some kind of proprietary system?!

It is not, it functions exactly the same as Flex.

The later of this, as I said, is not a problem.  The first part is the issue.  The web app builder is not final yet.  As of right now, you need to write the code.  But there is a huge amount of examples, etc.. However I believe based on your comments what you are looking for is the Web app builder, which is in beta. 

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer edition)

Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS | Esri Video

0 Kudos
ErnestoCarreras3
Occasional Contributor

what are the app server requirements to host the apps generated from the WebApp Builder?

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Right.  So your options are Portal (local AGO) or download a template and customize.  What you really want is the webapp builder, but its not there yet

0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe

Thank you kindly.

0 Kudos