Cannot print. Very frustrating problem.

03-26-2019 09:19 AM
CarlTownsend1
New Contributor III

Hi, I'm trying to use the print widget but it fails with the error message failed to create layer from service at http....../..../.../....etc. doesn;'t matter the page size or format, it always fails.

I'm using webAppBuilder 2.11 on our dev server and using locallayer to bring in layers from ArcGIS Server 10.6 via a published mxd.

I had the same problem when I was trying to develop a mapping service using the javascript api. printing would not work there either (It fails silently)

Assuming the print service is an out of the box solution, what else can I look at? I've looked at the setting on ArcGIS server,  I've also tried logging onto our server loading up the map and printing directly from there with no luck. I've really hit a brick wall here and everything I've tried does not work.

Does anyone have any ideas on where I could try looking next? Thanks.

87 Replies
AndrewThompsonTRC
New Contributor II

no token in the request trying in incognito mode.

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Nate,

quick question:
- did you publish your print service from (a) ArcMap or (b) ArcGIS Pro? or (c) using the one that comes installed with the server (i.e. Utilities\PrintingTools)

0 Kudos
AndrewThompsonTRC
New Contributor II

I published from ArcGIS Pro.  I also tried the service installed with the server to no avail, but that is to be expected, right?

0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
I published from ArcGIS Pro.  I also tried the service installed with the server to no avail, but that is to be expected, right?

It should work for both the Utilities\PrintTools and your service you published from ArcGIS Pro.

0 Kudos
RafaelFernandes_de_Souza
New Contributor III

Hello,

I have the same issue.

I found that the request made by GIS server to Image server is not correctly decoded by the image server. I made the request manually in the tool and it works. 

There is no way to change the request made by GIS Server to fix it. I think that it is a BUG.

I am currently using the 10.7.1 version. I have the GIS Server and Image Server federaded with Portal for ArcGIS.

0 Kudos
CharlesFritz2
New Contributor III

Also having the same issue. Arcgis Enterprise 10.7.1. Servers are federated. Worked in the Arcgis Pro tool just fine.  Published the service but will not work with the exact same web map json. Really unfortunate that this is an issue. 

0 Kudos
SandeepKuniel1
New Contributor III

Did anyone find a better solution to this one other than the hack which i had to come up with.
https://community.esri.com/thread/240167-web-appbuilder-printing-with-secured-map-service 

0 Kudos
DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

I have just upgraded to 10.8.1 and am now receiving a print service error, in both portal and in web app builder print widgets.  

Never had an issue with the print service before..... and now I cannot print from either the Portal 10.8.1 web map nor from web app builder apps.

TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi David Coley‌,

It looks like you ran into a bug that we discovered very recently that returns a local path instead of a URL. We are working on fixing this. I will see whether we have any work around for you for now.

Apologizes for the inconvenience.

Tanu

DavidColey
Frequent Contributor

Sure Tanu - thanks.  If it helps, the print service from both my hosting site and federated site do produce the MAP_ONLY image in both the Portal Map Viewer and in the Web Application Builder print widget.  One work around I thought of would be to use the AGOL service, e.g.

"https://utility.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%20Web%20Map%20Task",

0 Kudos