Can you connect an SQL database to a web application in ArcGIS Online's Web AppBuilder?

Jump to solution
01-23-2018 10:14 AM
BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

I am currently working on putting together a basic application in web appbuilder. And I am wondering if I can make a connection to our SQL database to make the application data dynamic. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bryan,

The JS API (which WAB uses under the hood) does not have the ability to connect to a SQL database directly. It use ArcGIS Server to communicate with GeoDatabases. Your other possibility is to develop a RESTful Web Service in .Net, then that web service can be used by an esriRequest to gain access to your database.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Bryan,

The JS API (which WAB uses under the hood) does not have the ability to connect to a SQL database directly. It use ArcGIS Server to communicate with GeoDatabases. Your other possibility is to develop a RESTful Web Service in .Net, then that web service can be used by an esriRequest to gain access to your database.

BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thank you Robert. That is exactly the information I was looking for.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Don't forget to mark this question as answered by clicking on the "Mark Correct" link on the reply that answered your question.

BryanHuebner
New Contributor III

Thanks

0 Kudos