Can Web AppBuilder access map services hosted by ArcGIS for Server? Or is WAB limited to accessing map services hosted by ArcGIS Online or Portal?

Jump to solution
03-03-2015 10:26 AM
RudyStricklan
New Contributor II

Can Web AppBuilder access map services hosted by ArcGIS for Server? Or is WAB limited to accessing map services hosted by ArcGIS Online or Portal?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
berniejconnors
Occasional Contributor III

Paul,

I am just "registering that service with AGOL".

Bernie.

0 Kudos
PaulDavidson1

Thanks Bernie...  that helps, I was wondering if there was something I was missing.

0 Kudos
CecilioMartinez
New Contributor II

Paul,

I did find a reference to this on Rebecca's Blog. Web AppBuilder Developer Edition - Customization Resource List

Here is the reference... Get around using ArcGIS Online and Portal with WAB

-Cecilio

berniejconnors

YES YOU CAN DISPLAY YOUR OWN ARCGIS SERVER MAP SERVICES IN WAB

WAB displays web maps that are composed with the ArcGIS Online map viewer.  You can compose a web map that includes map services from your own ArcGIS Server.  Here is a sample web map that combines a map service from my own ArcGIS Server with the Esri World Topo basemap.  The first step in accomplishing this is to register your ArcGIS Server map service with ArcGIS Online: (see snippet from ArcGIS Online Help below)

Add items from the web

When you add an item from the web, you are referencing the REST endpoint (URL). The website does not store the item itself. You can reference ArcGIS Server web services, KML, and OGC WMS. You can also reference documents and images stored on the web.

1. Verify that you are signed in and have privileges to create content.
  2. From My Content, click Add Item, and click From the web.
  3. Choose the type of item:

Once you have added your ArcGIS Server map service(s) as items in ArcGIS Online you can add them to your web map.  The final step is to reference the web map in WAB.