ArcGIS online map not displaying labels on Web appbuilder app

Jump to solution
02-07-2017 09:34 AM
SuzanneLiebergen1
New Contributor II

Hello,

I am working on modifying a WAB app that a previous employee deployed on our web server in September 2016 and the WAB build date was 6/22/2016. I created labels for one of the layers on the ArcGIS online map through the "create labels"/ "manage labels" tool. The labels show up as expected/ configured when I view the web map, however the created labels do not show up on the WAB app.

I did find this thread ArcGIS online map not displaying lables on Web appbuilder app , which suggests that it should have been fixed with a patch in December 2016, but that is not the case for me. Is there a file in my deployed web app that I should manually be modifying in order for these labels to show up?

Thank you for your help!

EDIT: I did add {"showAttribution":false,"showLabels":true} to the "mapOptions" in the main config.json file.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mohd_Afiq_AzimMd_Darom
New Contributor II

Good day Aaron,

I hope you are doing great. Please find below the solution to this issue:

The layers being used to label had not been published as hosted feature layers. Allow me to assume it had been added as zipped shapefile directly into the web map. Once the feature layers published using the workflow below, I am sure the label will work as expected:

1) Go back to the Item Details page

2) On the right hand side > click on Publish.
3) Once the layers have been published as hosted feature layer > add it to the original web map.
4) Recreate the labels with the new layers > Labels will appear in the web application

Hope this solution will help others who has a similar issue as well.

Have an excellent day ahead!

Regards,

- Afiq

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AaronLowe
New Contributor III

I'm seeing the same problem but with an App Builder app that was built a year ago and hosted on AGOL.

0 Kudos
Mohd_Afiq_AzimMd_Darom
New Contributor II

Good day Aaron,

I hope you are doing great. Please find below the solution to this issue:

The layers being used to label had not been published as hosted feature layers. Allow me to assume it had been added as zipped shapefile directly into the web map. Once the feature layers published using the workflow below, I am sure the label will work as expected:

1) Go back to the Item Details page

2) On the right hand side > click on Publish.
3) Once the layers have been published as hosted feature layer > add it to the original web map.
4) Recreate the labels with the new layers > Labels will appear in the web application

Hope this solution will help others who has a similar issue as well.

Have an excellent day ahead!

Regards,

- Afiq

AaronLowe
New Contributor III

That fixed it for me.  Thanks Afiq!

0 Kudos
JoeBryant2
Occasional Contributor II

The above workflow does NOT fix the problem for me.

My 2016 Web Map and We App was using a map service published from a single MXD which contained all of my layers. I was able to create labels using Arcade in the Web Map after the update last year, save the layer with the label changes, and save the Web Map. I thought the Web App had reflected those changes at the time, but I may be wrong. The labels do not show up now.

I created a new blank MXD in ArcMap and added just the feature class I want to label, with the labels configured using the basic labeling engine. I received no warnings after analysis. I published the data with feature access enabled and no caching (dynamic from the data) to ArcServer using our datastore.

I shared the feature service with my AGOL organization in ArcServer Manager. Then I added the feature service to my Web Map. The labels did not automatically display in the Web Map the way they had been configured in ArcMap; I had to create a custom expression using the Arcade language and add a halo. After saving both the layer and the Web Map, the Web App still doesn't display the labels that have been configured in the Web Map it is consuming. Just to check, I restarted the Web AppBuilder service on our server and reloaded the App to edit, then re-launched it - no change.

I am using Web AppBuilder (developer edition) hosted on our own ArcServer site, but sharing our services with our ArcGIS Online organization (a "hybrid" deployment). We are using 10.4.1.

0 Kudos
SuzanneLiebergen1
New Contributor II

I was able to resolve the issue for myself by downloading  and deploying a new instance of the web appbuilder app

JoeBryant2

Will this workflow overwrite or cause me to lose any of the Web Apps already configured in my current deployment of Web App Builder?

0 Kudos
BruceMiller
New Contributor III

Joe, you will not lose your existing web app configuration when you upgrade.

JoeBryant2

Thanks Bruce. Downloading the new version of WAB (2.6) and upgrading my apps fixed this problem!

Note that you don't want run the 'install.bat' command line code that comes with the SDK download to upgrade from a previous version. The upgrade instructions for WAB are found here: Upgrade apps—Web AppBuilder for ArcGIS (Developer Edition) | ArcGIS for Developers 

0 Kudos