Remove pre-requisite of ArcGIS Online/Portal for Web AppBuilder

04-09-2015 08:28 PM
SharonGin1
New Contributor II
Currently, the web app builder requires the existence of either an ArcGIS Online or Portal application in order to be used for the configuration of the web app. All maps accessed in the web app builder needs to be a web map inside Online or Portal. Some organizations are not ready to implement this product yet, but are very interested in implementing a JavaScript app. We're unable to use the Web AppBuilder for this in such situations and would have to do a fully customised JavaScript app. However, we will not be able to leverage on the framework and future widgets that comes with the Web AppBuilder in the customised JS app.
3 Comments
VictoriaMyers
I could not agree more. In fact I was a beta tester for this and until the final version it was stand alone. Come on ESRI we need a stand alone version of the javascript app builder. Flex and silverlight are depreciated. We pay ESRI pretty well for our licenses every year just to keep server up to date. Now you throw in a handicap by preventing us from using it to serve maps wanting us to go to AGOL or pay for lots of licenses to use portal on our own server. As a small county I am already expected to be an expert in IT, and expert in desktop, an expert SDE and SQL administrator, an expert in our land records, etc, etc and ESRI now expects me to learn to be an expert in javascript as well to publish our maps on our server. I agree with the comment in tthe configurable viewer idea: Putting two of the javascript api examples together is "harder than concrete". My current online maps are simple. A few layers, a few search widgets a layer list. Simple things the flex viewer allowed me to do in a few minutes and have a map up not spending days programming.  
NorthPark

You might want to have a look at the Configurable Map Viewer. It is on my list of things to play with in the near future for the same AGOL/Portal login reasons.

CMV - Configurable Map Viewer 

BrianFausel

We have a scenario where this requirement prevents us from using WAB maps on some user devices:

1. Our Web AppBuilder code is downloaded and hosted locally and it is referencing our local ArcGIS Server map services via fixed IP addresses.  The required Web Map is hosted on AGO.  
  2. On devices with limited restrictions, this architecture works and they are able to view our maps when authenticated with a VPN client.
  3. One department has heavy restriction requirements in their VPN client, and they are not able to get it to work with the changing IP addresses of the Amazon webservice-hosted AGO Web Map.  (Apparently IT is trying to troubleshoot this with the VPN client manufacturer - who has stated that support for that would come in a "future version").
  4. Our managers do not want to implement a local Portal for ArcGIS at this time, so it is AGO-hosted web map or nothing.  As a result, the users in this department can't use our web maps.
  5. If the WAB did not require the "authentication" through a Web Map, I assume it would work on these problematic devices.