Near Me widget - bring back the function to draw results of unselected layers

10-11-2021 02:34 PM
Labels (2)
JanaKaeppler1
New Contributor II

Hello Developer team,

I noticed that since the recent September 2021 update, the Near Me widget isn't working the way it used to by returning results of layers that weren't turned on in the layer list. While the tick box "Only draw selected layer results" is still part of the configuration options of the widget, it is actually not working anymore. I did report this as a bug. Then I found out here: https://doc.arcgis.com/en/web-appbuilder/create-apps/what-s-new.htm that the change was deliberate.

Well - the near me widget is really useful in situations where a lot of layer results are sitting on top of each other and one doesn't want to constantly turn layers on and off and click through pop-ups. Having too many layers required to be turned on actually complicates work flows and makes the map messy. That is where the Near-Me tool came in very handy  as one could just select an address and then all results for that address would come up nicely in an interactive list in the widget details box. 

Since September it appears the Near-Me tool only recognises selected layers which now requires for all layers either be ticked by default (which will create a very messy first impression of the map / app) or the user needing to tick them all which leaves a lot of room for error or even puts the less technical user off the application altogether. This tool adjustment now makes the whole app experience way less practical for the end user and I am unsure why ESRI chose to make this change to the Near Me tool.

Therefore I am wanting to enquire whether this tool could please be reversed to its functionality before the September update.

Thanks so much,

Jana

5 Comments
MelissaNorthey

Oh, yuck.  I just learned of this "enhancement" to the Near Me tool today as I got unexpected results in a meeting when using our tool.  Gah!  I can't expect the users of our main mapping application (with over 100 layers) to sift through and turn on the right layers.  I want to give them the results they are looking for in one-click.  I guess for now I'll have to have them use a bookmark and then the tool.  It would be just fine for me if the Near Me tool would work on the predefined layers regardless if the layers were on or off.  Perhaps this could be a checkbox option in configuring the tool?

HeatherCruz-Konen

I agree! I wasted so much time troubleshooting, thinking it was a bug. Why would that so very useful functionality, turning on and filtering only the layers within the defined buffer, be removed?  😞 

ChelseaRozek

I keep thinking this is a bug since the workaround of having to make a duplicate layer with no symbology for use only with this widget is messy (since we have full symbology ones too for use with the layer list widget). It's confusing and difficult to maintain if you have more than a couple of layers. 

MelissaNorthey

Hi All, I worked with Esri Support and got an enhancement (ENH-000147364) submitted for this.  The support tech worded it as "Allow the Near Me widget in ArcGIS Web AppBuilder to automatically display the results for the layers that are turned off in the layers list." so I hope it doesn't immediately get shut down.  What I want is the ability to check a box to allow it or not allow it.  Here's hoping the enhancement request will get this idea some priority anyway.

LindaBENRAIS

Hi, Everyone,

I have a question about "Near Me widget". I need to Save the results in csv, etc...

I tried with Screening widget, but it saves only in Area(square km). 

How I can save the results of "Near Me widget"? Or do you know another ways or should I create Custom widget?

Thanks a lot for your help,