consume metadata in web appbuilder widgets

07-17-2020 06:07 AM
RobertJohansson
Occasional Contributor

Since were spending time to give our services metadata it would be great if we could use it in some way other than view it from the rest api pages. 

one use i would like is to be able to add some of the metadata in the about widget without having to write it again. for example the description. perhaps theres a better way to implement showing our users specific metadata. but some way other than the rest api to show our users metadata would be great.

3 Comments
by Anonymous User

Hi Robert Johansson I added capability to see 'metadata boxes' in the WebApp Builder's Layer List if you click the '...' details button in the Layer List on a layer. https://community.esri.com/message/658275-enhanced-layer-list-metadata-71720 Does that work for you? I would love to see this officially adopted in the API widget or WAB widget and perhaps integrated into other widgets as you mention.

RobertJohansson

I think your widget would do everything I want/need for the layer list(toc). what I can see I would be able to get  the service metadata and database metadata from the layers (if i reference geodata)

the only thing I would like more is to use service metadata in other places, such as the about widget

Kevin MacLeod‌ do you have an idea or something where I can upvote implementation of your widget?

by Anonymous User

Hi Robert, that would be nice, thank you. Well this one is related.. metadata doesn't update in ArcMap I think maybe I also created that idea somewhere too.. but if not, I think they know about it. It's fortunately pretty simple to override the click handler. I agree it would be useful to see it readily usable throughout widgets. You can grab those properties from any service or sublayers if you look at my widget methods, to get copyright and description properties from the REST service, populated from the MXD as described in the Idea Thread above.