Configurable Object Oriented Javascript Viewer Template

08-28-2013 09:07 AM
KeithGerhartz1
Occasional Contributor II
David Spriggs (ESRI) has developed a basic OO Javascript template found on GITHUB at https://github.com/DavidSpriggs/ConfigurableViewerJSAPI.

ESRI should make such a template available like they have for FLEX sing FLEX is dead and the future is Javascript and HTML5.

Why not reassign David to work on his viewer full time and relase it?
3 Comments
DavinShokes2
I have enjoyed watching his viewer grow over time. It definately  starts with more functions and is easier to extent. The viewer doesn't advertise itself as a solution for 1 employee in a specific department/industry like most of the esri github.
Thanks for bringing up the idea.
KevinMacLeod1
this is EXACTLY what we WANT.  ESRI seems to be tone-deaf particularly for the Javascript API.

I don't want a bunch of silly map viewers that tell a story.  I want the same 90% functionality in all of them.  Most of all, a Table of Contents and Identify that work like in ArcGIS Desktop.  Or ArcGIS.com's own JS viewer for example.

Yet we currently have to code these two things ourselves.  They need to A) incorporate AGS JS TOC from Nian Wei into the API.  B) create a robust sample template or 'viewer' like the Flex / Flash API's Flex Viewer.   The current state of affairs for ESRI JS API is really holding it back particularly for small offices or municipalities that can't afford dedicated programmers, which are basically a requirement to use the current JS API.  Back with Flex/Flash you could have a great viewer up and running in a day.  Now it takes months. 
KenCarrier
I highly doubt David will get reassigned because he is very valuable in Esri Professional Services and he does have a great template started and is very knowledgeable. What would be nice is a GUI interface for building javascript apps like Flex and Silverlight have. But in my experience many on the Esri javascript team think they know what is best for us and they do not like things like a layer list or TOC type widget.

They feel they know what is best for us and we should just do it there way when our consumers tell us something different.

Some consistency from the Esri javascript team would be nice, trying to look at a template one person wrote and implement their code into another template someone else wrote is harder than concrete.

Please whoever is listening at Esri this is posted numerous times throughout the ideas portal, show us you all actually read and listen to this stuff and make a GUI builder like the other API's have.