Add "Export to SHP" or "Export to GDB" option to WAB Select Widget

05-16-2017 02:32 PM
AntonSizo_
New Contributor III

It would be nice to have "Export to SHP" or "Export to GDB" options with WAB Select Widget, as available json and geojson options are not most used formats for geodata transfer.

8 Comments
HughRound1

Export to .shp for query and selection results in Portal is essential and very frustrating not having it - Portal is so close yet so far in usability when sticking to a COTS.

It allows users to create data that can be sent to external clients who don't understand/ can't user .json. It also means the queries and selections can be added back in to later sessions or other apps via the "add data" tool.

Arjanvan_Doorn

This option would make the whole widget and, in effect, a webmap app, a whole lot more useful, effective, handy to use. Please add this option!!!! For our users this is a go / nogo decisive factor.

PaulHoefflerGISS

We have a need for the Select widget to support export to shapefile to support Wildland Fire response workflows.

For reference, you may find some alternatives:

- There is a Screening widget that may provide this and and other nice functionality, but if you have overlapping features and need to export a single feature it may not work, as in our case.

- The Analysis widget can be set to Extract, but the output will be exported to the user's ArcGIS Online account, not downloaded to their device, and they need to have a series of privileges like a Publisher.

We were attached to the existing #ENH-000114908 [Enhancement] Adding export shapefile functionality to the Select widget. through Esri Technical Support.

PaulHoefflerGISS

Regarding  #ENH-000114908 [Enhancement] Adding export shapefile functionality to the Select widget.:

Zahina Khan‌ relayed to us that "the Select widget will not be able to export data to shapefile"

The following work-around was provided by Esri development:

1. Enable the “Export” capability for Select widget
  2. Use “Save to My Content” on the selection to save the selection to your portal as an Feature Collection item
  3. Go to the saved Feature Collection item’s details page
  4. Use “Publish” button to publish it as a hosted feature layer
  5. Use the “Export Data” capability of the hosted feature layer to export it to Shapefile.

We're looking to support emergency response (wildland fire suppression)where we'll have field users on mobile devices with limited connectivity and demands on their time, who are not in a publisher role. The work-around is not feasible for a few reasons - it is not simple or efficient, requiring many steps to eventually download a feature as a shapefile, and users will not have this as an option given their roles.

by Anonymous User

Agreed, this would be highly useful.

RamezRafatVolue

Why has this useful export formats not been given us yet? Has ESRI stopped the further developement of widgets for Web AppBuilder because of their wish to go to Experience Builder as soon as possible? It seems as if I have to make a widget for this purpose myself, but hopefully someone has already made a custom widget for doing so on Geonet, GitHub or other places (like only on their own server 😉 ) ?  Any suggestions?

DougBrowning

I came searching and wow since 2017!  I guess it is a lost cause?

I have been hounding for years to get my users to use GDBs and not CSV or ugg SHP, but there is no way in app builder.  Having them go to CSV is a step backwards IMHO.

Closest I see is the Analysis widget but it creates an item which none of users can use since they are not publishers.  Having to be publishers to export data has been a massive issue for us.  We really use web appbuilder way less because of this.  Pretty to look at but users cannot get any data out of it.

Please consider.

thanks

Shanmukha_KumariVattem

We in iSpatial done customized widget in webmap application for converting data to shp for one of our client.. if any one interested .. please visit our site for contact details.

connectus@ispatialtec.com

Visit for more details

www.ispatialtec.com