Own Layout for Printing: Scaled Output?

02-05-2013 12:39 PM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Steve Clark

I have created my own service for printing web maps - developing the layouts in MXDs then running Export Web Map then publishing. The problem I am seeing is that the output maps are not coming out true to scale when the user explicitly states the scale in the Viewer's Print tool. My templates (layouts) are there and the map dimensions are accurate but if the user enters, say, 1200, the printed map (choosing Actual Size in the print preferences) comes out a larger scale (roughly 900 or so). Is there a step I missed or is this not an out-of-box functionality of the service?
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Jean-FrancoisMeunier
New Contributor
I noticed that when using a Web Mercator projection (Google Map, Bing, AGSOnline) the scale is reported at the Equator.
The WMAS projection has a scale that changes according to Latitude : 1/cos(lat).
From your numbers, would you happen to be at a latitude of 41 degrees North ?
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Original User: Steve Clark

I noticed that when using a Web Mercator projection (Google Map, Bing, AGSOnline) the scale is reported at the Equator.
The WMAS projection has a scale that changes according to Latitude : 1/cos(lat).
From your numbers, would you happen to be at a latitude of 41 degrees North ?

Yes, good call. So the solution is to create the output without the WMAS layers?
0 Kudos