Feature labels lost in Silverlight

03-05-2013 11:58 AM
DougRulison
New Contributor III
My feature labels are not displaying in Silverlight viewer but I can see them in the Service Editor preview window.

There is a caveat to this statement however so let me explain.  My mxd is set up with many feature classes all having labels displayed by scale.  My labels are set in my mxd file and are displayed correctly in the Service Editor preview window with no problem.  I am publishing using the feature service.  What I notice is that I can load this service two different ways and I'm not sure one is better or more correct than the other.  Any info on this would be appreciated.  But I can load the overall (mxd) service into Silverlight viewer and the feature classes are not configurable but the labels are there.  Or, I can load each feature class as a feature service and I get no labels.  Any reason for this?

I would prefer to load them all in as one feature service and have the "grouped feature" look and feel but I do not like the fact that they are not individually configurable so I choose to load them as independent feature services so i can configure each on its own.  I need a hybrid solution.  Any ideas?

thanks,

Doug
Doug Rulison
0 Kudos
2 Replies
EricHajek1
Occasional Contributor
Pretty sure this is a current limitation of the Viewer for Silverlight. Either use the entire Map Service or no labels.

My work-around was to publish several different services, so at least there isn't one huge group. So for instance, Stormwater Pipe labels are visible when they're viewed as part of their Stormwater Reference Data map service, but the labels aren't visible if using the Feature Service layer dropped in the map above them. Other types of data (Sanitary, Water) are their own groups.

This plus the lack of true layer 'groups' (besides the map service work around) are my biggest issues with Viewer at the moment.

Good luck,
Eric
TomMagdaleno
Occasional Contributor III
I made one service for my stormwater point, line and polygon data and another for my annotation.  By default the anno is turned off and people can use the popup for each feature.  If they need the full annotation they can turn it on.