Error while print pdf

11-07-2012 09:43 PM
WeePok_Jin1
New Contributor
I got error of "Unable to complete operation" in the browser while using the print tool.

In the arcgis server log, I got this error:

Error executing tool.: Layer "New Basemap": Unable to connect to map server at http://172.23.10.17:6080/arcgis/rest/services/World_Topo_Map/MapServer. Failed to execute (Export Web Map). Failed to execute (Export Web Map Task).

The same thing happens to the rest of the operation layers added to the map. All the layers (including the basemap) are in our own Arcgis server.

Any idea how to solve this?

Thanks.
0 Kudos
11 Replies
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II
The client side printing issue has been resolved and available for download here. Please use this link to download the PrintTool.AddIns.xap and copy it to replace the existing one available under C:\inetpub\wwwroot\Builder\Extensions. Please make sure to clear the browser cache before you use the tool.

Thanks for that fix on the client side - it worked fine.  Now if I could get the Web Map Task to work.  I will try and open a ticket on this.  I'm getting the same message that it's unable to print and I can't find any error logs in Server.
0 Kudos
KarenFolger
Occasional Contributor II
Hi Everyone,

With the release of v3.0, the ArcGIS Viewer for Silverlight now supports both client-side and server-side printing. Client-side printing is the basic printing that has always been included in the Viewer. Server-side printing was designed to take advantage of the new Server 10.1 Print task.

It looks like this thread now contains questions for both types of printing. Hopefully I can clarify a few things:

1. We had an issue with the client-side printing where when you would click the "Print" button, nothing would happen. Clint and Karen - this applies to you. As Nakul mentioned, we released a fixed version of the Print tool add-in on ArcGIS Online. Please download this add-in and replace the existing one. This should solve your problem.

2. Those of you receiving errors when printing using your Server Print task (Export Web Map Task) - this is a server-side printing issue. This is not something we have been able to reproduce, so I'll request again that someone please contact Support to help fix the issue. Please let them know you've worked with me (or Nakul) on the forums so that they can get information back to us.

Thank you, and please let me know if you have further questions.

Katy

I worked with ESRI support to get the Server Print task working.  It seems that the sampleserver would not work.  The support guy (thanks Jon!) thinks it might have something to do with the length of the URL generated.  When I instead replaced the sampleserver with our local server name (plus port # because no web adapter) it worked fine.
0 Kudos