Shape File Won't Upload

01-25-2013 11:05 AM
jamesmullen
New Contributor II
Robert,

This is the file I'm trying to upload via the add shape file widget.  It works on your sample site, but won't load in my site/config.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
11 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
James,

On my Development machine I tested the same shapefile and had not issue. What version is your ArcGIS Server that the Geometry service is running on?
0 Kudos
jamesmullen
New Contributor II
It's running against a 10.0 box.  Fv3.1
0 Kudos
jamesmullen
New Contributor II
Here's a a screencap of the exact error.  This tiger file is about 1.3mb, and should load I believe.  I did get the loader to work on a 53kb shape file.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
james,

Are you using IE as your browser? Have you tried it in Chrome or FireFox? What service pack of ArcGIS Server 10 are you running? I can run this against 10.05 (SP5) without issue.
0 Kudos
jamesmullen
New Contributor II
That did it, I aimed it at a fully sp'd 10.1 server and it runs fine.  Thanks for the hand holding, I'll buy you a beer at the UC!
0 Kudos
LoganLehman
New Contributor
I am having a couple similar issues as well.

First, it throws an ioError when trying to project with the .prj file present in the zipfile. I'm currently just testing against tasks.arcgisonline's geometryserver.

Secondly, on a good amount of my shapefiles, I am getting an error "Script took longer than timeout limit of 15 seconds" and that is popping at loadShapefile() on the shpReader.hasMore() while loop. These shapefiles are very small (talking 5-300KB), so I don't see what it is hanging up on.

Maybe you might be able to answer those issues.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Logan,

I would start by NOT using esris geometry service as Lots of people all around the world are tasking that server, you need to use your own Geometry server. Is it possible to share one of these erroring shapefiles since they are so small?
0 Kudos
LoganLehman
New Contributor
Logan,

I would start by NOT using esris geometry service as Lots of people all around the world are tasking that server, you need to use your own Geometry server. Is it possible to share one of these erroring shapefiles since they are so small?

Robert,

Unfortunately I cannot, as they are federal and military shapefiles that are not publicly available. One of the shapefiles I have that is returning the ioError is public, but it a little larger (2.75MB). You can get it at the tiger/line census portal and by selecting "Military Installations".
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Logan,

In Version 3.1.3 I only attempt to re-project 100 features at a time instead of the old 500 features and it can now deal with the Tiger shapefile you recommended.
0 Kudos