Printing to pdf returns a legend with striped symbology

04-08-2013 05:06 AM
MattPohl
Occasional Contributor II
I have been back and forth with ESRI support on this one, but thought I might try a post hoping the Flex Team will take a look at it. My situation is this: Being that I am on AGS 10.0 I am using ERSI's Export Web Map Task (http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/ArcGIS/rest/services/Utilities/PrintingTools/GPServer/Export%2...). When printing to a pdf, the symbology in the legend ends up "striped". Several Knowledge Base articles describes this and similar known bugs and uses a workaround described here: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538 and here: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/30753. Being that I am working off an ESRI sample server, obviously the workaround doesn't apply to me, but to ESRI......

This can be recreated by using the default configuration of the viewer off the ArcGIS Flex Resources site: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/live/index.html. From this viewer, just turn on demographics from the "More" tab and print to pdf. Most layouts that include a legend will have lines through the symbology. I have tried using other Export Web Map Tasks from ESRI Server's such as the ArcGIS Online Utility Services, but get similar results.

Any resolution to this situation would be greatly appreciated, as I can't be the only one experiencing this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
JaredYost
Occasional Contributor
+1 for same issue
0 Kudos
JulianInskip
Occasional Contributor

I know it is quite far down the line and I was having this same problem (even with JPGs).

I found this tech support article that worked for me:

40538 - The PrintingTools service produces garbled or pixelated legend patches in PDF output

simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

I still have the same issue as of today when printing A3-sized pdf map. it seems the png, jpg format works fine.

My default printer for the ArcGIS servers are Microsoft XPS Document Writer, the servers are virtual machines....

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Simo,

If you carefully review the link above you would see that on you ArcGIS Servers you need to install another printer that has a larger than 8.5 x 11 capability.

Workaround

Set ArcGIS Server Account's Windows default printer's default page size to a size as large as or larger than the page layout that is being exported. For example, if the map document is a tabloid size (11 x 17), set the default printer's default page size to 11 x 17 or larger. If setting the printer to the exact size of the layout page, check that the orientation (portrait or landscape) also matches the layout to be exported. The easiest solution is typically to install a plotter driver, as these have the largest page sizes available by default. Microsoft Windows ships with many plotter drivers available through the Add Printer wizard. No download is necessary.

simoxu
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Robert,

I finally makes it working. I did read the article, and tried a few things on the printer drivers and after a few hours I gave up

Today I tried my plotter driver using ArcGIS Server Account, it worked! kind of strange though, I am using my own account in the custom print service, the ArcGIS Server Account doesn't work with my print service for unknown reason, but this is another story.

Thank you for reassuring me that the solution will work, and I tried it again, it worked

Simo

0 Kudos
MikeBrannagan1
New Contributor

So - I've done the steps mentioned above and added a plotter driver with an Arch E default paper size.  Still garbled legend items when the legend is at the bottom of the pdf.  If I move the legend to the top then the symbology comes out fine.  This is mentioned in the article linked above and then again referenced by Robert.  

Is there any other guidance to resolving this issue?

Mike

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

On the ArcGIS Server server, did you set the default printer to a size greater than Arch E?  You are trying to use a custom AGS print service to generate on Arch E pdf?

0 Kudos
MikeBrannagan1
New Contributor

I'm just trying to generate letter or tabloid sized prints.  The article said to set it to the maximum print size or larger.  I tried tabloid, then subsequently larger sizes.  Now I'm at the maximum print size for the plotter driver I installed.  Still not working.  

I've also installed a different default printer just to see if that helped and it did not.

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

This solution has worked for me for years so maybe something is different in your environment.  What version of ArcGIS Server are you using?

0 Kudos