Print 3.1 - Dynamic Layers will not print

01-21-2013 03:07 AM
philippschnetzer
Occasional Contributor III
I am using the latest viewer source code (3.1).  I've made some custom layouts and I can print as long as I turn off all of my dynamic layers.  If I use Esri's sample service print url it will print even with my dynamic layers all turned on.

The error I get when I use my own service with my layers turned on is:

Error executing print task:

[RPC Fault faultString="Unable to complete operation." faultCode="400" faultDetail="Error executing tool."]

I cannot find any issues in Firebug.  I have set up my print service following the instructions on esri help and it looks identical to Esri's sampleserver print service.

I do not have any odd layers that I can think of that would prevent the print from working....I am using some custom .png symbology and some transparencies....but that does not explain why the Esri print url has no issue with my layers at all...

Thanks for ANY help!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
philippschnetzer
Getting closer...but still no dice...

Turns out if I use the servers internal ip address (and mty vpn is connected) the print tool works great.  Then I tried using the external ip address but the print fails just like when I use the domain name in the url.

I checked the server logs and the error is:

Layer "Layers": Unable to connect to map server at http://##.###.##.##/arcgiswebadaptor/rest/services/xxxxxx/MapServer. Failed to execute (ExportWebMap). Failed to execute (Export Web Map).

Looks like if there was a way to let the server recognize its own domain name and allow it to access itself it would work - but my IT guy says that opens up some major security holes.
0 Kudos
GISDev1
This is an IT Infrastructure issue. The server which hosts the ArcGIS Server 10.1 Instance needs HTTP access to the web adapter entry point as well. He's probably saying that changing the HOSTS file to redirect that web adapter request to the internal server is a security issue, which is partially true, but there's other ways to do it as well.

Getting a VPN involved naturally complicates these issues, but this is way out of the ArcGIS Viewer for Flex realm, and should be left to an IT Networking and/or Security Professional.
0 Kudos
philippschnetzer
Thanks for taking the time to respond!  You raise a good point, but the web adaptor is actually on the same server - it is all on one machine - for some reason when I installed 10.1 server I couldn't get my apps to work until I installed the web adaptor as well - which I didnt think was necessary when the server and web server are on the same machine but alas that is what I had to do.

I gave Esri support a call and will report back when the issue is figured out.

Thanks for your input!
0 Kudos
Marion_CountyAuditor
New Contributor III
Did you ever find out what the issue was on this? I am having the same problem.
0 Kudos