occasional very slow map load

Jump to solution
05-15-2012 07:37 AM
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
I've noticed that my application will occasionally load very slowly, maybe 10-20 seconds, for the initial load.  As in, immediately after browsing to the url.  Once loaded, and all other times, it runs quite fast....zooming (loads in 1-4 secs), searching, etc.   This only seems to happen to me maybe once per day...but I've only started paying attention to it yesterday.  I haven't been able to pin down if there is a pattern on when this happens or not but it may only happen after a restart of the map service or first thing in the morning (as in maybe it hasn't been accessed in a bunch of hours).  I'd have to test alot more to be certain of that though....I'm just throwing that out there.

The load is so slow at those times that I can imagine people closing the page and complaining.  I'd like to nip this in the bud now before I'm live...which is very soon.

It does not seem to be related to the REST cache as clearing it didn't change anything, however, that's the only thing that makes any sense to me.  The only other thing of note is that the wait for loading is after all the widgets and elements load.  The map layers themselves are what you are waiting on.  The one exception, which may just be coincidence, is that the scale bar loads with the layers, which would be slowly in those instances, instead of with the rest of the widgets/elements...as if it's possible that the scale bar is what is struggling to load.

My set up is a MSD map service accessing data within a GDB on the same machine as AGS.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Eric,

There is a couple of things you could try to improve the performance of your application, but it depends on if you are using the source code or the compilied version and what clients your are targeting. If you are on a closed network (such as an intranet) where you know what version of the flash plugin is installed then before you compile your project you can go into the properties of the project and under the Flex Compilier, turn off Express Install, this will stop the application checking the internet to see if the correct version of Flash Player is installed and improve start up time.

it also sounds like you are expriencing 'Sleeping Services' see this post for the remedy:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/26850-Sleeping-Server-Services-slow-to-start?highlight=Flex+Sleepin...

Regards

Anthony

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Eric,

There is a couple of things you could try to improve the performance of your application, but it depends on if you are using the source code or the compilied version and what clients your are targeting. If you are on a closed network (such as an intranet) where you know what version of the flash plugin is installed then before you compile your project you can go into the properties of the project and under the Flex Compilier, turn off Express Install, this will stop the application checking the internet to see if the correct version of Flash Player is installed and improve start up time.

it also sounds like you are expriencing 'Sleeping Services' see this post for the remedy:

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/26850-Sleeping-Server-Services-slow-to-start?highlight=Flex+Sleepin...

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
the sleeping services seems to make sense.  I'll test that out.

thanks!
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Eric,

Please yet us know if this solves your issue

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
EricGardecki
Occasional Contributor
it seemed to load up better this morning.  I can't be sure I was the first one on it so I won't know for sure until I test more over time but so far it seemed to do the trick.

Thanks much.
0 Kudos