How to create a feature class in arcgis viewer for flex

Jump to solution
12-26-2013 04:19 PM
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III
Hi all,

I am new in ArcGIS Viewer for Flex. The company I work has this arcgis viewer for flex and some standard widgets on it. I want to create a feature class (say, a shapefile) on arcgis viewer for flex, that can be open later on arcgis desktop. I know I can draw graphics, like polygons, polylines, and points, but when I saved them, they became a text file, not a shapefile or GDB.

Is there any way I can create a shapefile or GDB on arcgis veiwer for flex? If I need to use a widget, can I know what widget does that? Or do I need to consume some geoprocessing tools to do that?

Thank you for your attention.

Marvin
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Marvin,

Sorry I did not make myself clear enough. There is nothing in the API, thus nothing in the Arcgis Viewer for Flex (which is a client side app). The only thing in the viewer that could be used is the Geoprocessing Widget (maybe...) to consume a GP Service that you would have to code (which runs server side, maybe some python script). This is the closest thing to what you are asking for (once again I have no experience using this code, so have no further advice). It is some python for converting my eDraw Widget txt to a shapefile.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/33618-FAO-Robert-Scheitlin-or-anyone-who-knows-about-saved-graphics...

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Marvin,

There is nothing in the API that will allow you to make a shapefile or GDB on the client. There is no current widget that will do this either. You will have to do some geoprocessing magic if you are going to come close to doing what you are wanting. I personally have no advise on how you would do this other then having it done server side through a GP process.
0 Kudos
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III
Hi Robert,

Thank you for your fast reply. Ok, now I know that creating a feature class to a client computer is not easy. How about creating it on the server? Do you have any reference / examples / tutorial to create feature classes by Arcgis Viewer for Flex on the server side? Through a GP process is fine.

Thank you very much.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Marvin,

Sorry I did not make myself clear enough. There is nothing in the API, thus nothing in the Arcgis Viewer for Flex (which is a client side app). The only thing in the viewer that could be used is the Geoprocessing Widget (maybe...) to consume a GP Service that you would have to code (which runs server side, maybe some python script). This is the closest thing to what you are asking for (once again I have no experience using this code, so have no further advice). It is some python for converting my eDraw Widget txt to a shapefile.

http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/33618-FAO-Robert-Scheitlin-or-anyone-who-knows-about-saved-graphics...
0 Kudos
juan_marvinwirjomartono
New Contributor III
Hi Robert,

Thank you very much for your reply. And thanks for sharing. I will try the tool first, and hopefully I'll find the way out for my problem. Thanks.
0 Kudos