Flex Viewer and Google Maps

10-09-2010 03:37 AM
DavideFiorino
New Contributor
Can i embed Google Maps (street, satellite,...) in the Sample Flex Viewer as base maps? And how to?

Thanks!!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
19 Replies
IvanBaehr
New Contributor
We are currently using Bing Maps or ERSI online as base maps for our Flexviewer 2.4 app. However, for those regions we are focusing on Google provides most detailed data. We would therefore appreciate to be able to implement Google maps as our base map.

How may we implement this. License should not be an issue. what we need is simple help for the technical solution. How would the code line for using Google as a base map in Flexviewer 2.4 look like and where should a license key be located?

Any assistance is highly appreciated. I have seen the flex sample by izambakci. May you provide the explanation how this was implemented. We don't need sharing the entire project, just the implementation of Google base map.

Thanks,

Ivan Baehr,
UNOSAT
0 Kudos
İsmailZAMBAKCI
New Contributor II
I will help you. I get your mail and replayed to you .
0 Kudos
IvanBaehr
New Contributor
Thanks Ismail,

for your fast reply and assistance. We are in urgent need of implementing Google as base map for our data in Flexviewer 2.4 and would really regret to quit flexviewer in order to have Google as a base map. There must be a solution, but how...

I wonder if the ESRI flexviewer team has any intention of including Google Maps as one of the options for Flexviewer base maps.

Thanks,
Ivan Baehr
UNOSAT
0 Kudos
NasifAlshaier
New Contributor
Hi Ivan...

I would like to incorportate Google maps as well in my Flexviewer... Were you able to get it working? If so, would please share your knowledge and code..

nia@miamidade.gov

Thanks in advance
Nasif

We are currently using Bing Maps or ERSI online as base maps for our Flexviewer 2.4 app. However, for those regions we are focusing on Google provides most detailed data. We would therefore appreciate to be able to implement Google maps as our base map.

How may we implement this. License should not be an issue. what we need is simple help for the technical solution. How would the code line for using Google as a base map in Flexviewer 2.4 look like and where should a license key be located?

Any assistance is highly appreciated. I have seen the flex sample by izambakci. May you provide the explanation how this was implemented. We don't need sharing the entire project, just the implementation of Google base map.

Thanks,

Ivan Baehr,
UNOSAT
0 Kudos
IvanBaehr
New Contributor
Hi Nasif,

I did not yet get closer to get Google basemap for Flexviwer 2.4 to work. Got some fxp and fxpl code from Ismail Zambacki but I am not familiar with that format. I think we need some support from the ESRI flexviewer team on this issue. Hope we may manage with joint efforts.Great to know that others have the same requirement.

Stay in touch,

Ivan Baehr
UNOSAT

Hi Ivan...

I would like to incorportate Google maps as well in my Flexviewer... Were you able to get it working? If so, would please share your knowledge and code..

nia@miamidade.gov

Thanks in advance
Nasif
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Ivan & Nasif,

You guys will not be receiving support from esri on this as stated in the first couple of posts there are legal constraints applied by Google that will not allow you to use their data outside of their APIs and products. So even if you are able to get this to work you as putting your organization at risk for lawsuits.
0 Kudos
BjornSvensson
Esri Regular Contributor
   You guys will not be receiving support from esri on this as stated in the first couple of posts there are legal constraints applied by Google that will not allow you to use their data outside of their APIs and products. So even if you are able to get this to work you as putting your organization at risk for lawsuits.

Just to both contradict and confirm Robert's answer 🙂

As a Flex Developer, it should be possible to either (a) extend the tile layer together with the Google Static Maps API - this is the option mentioned in Rex' blog post (see Derek's entry on this thread).  Optionally, and with less limitations, (b) is to (similarly) extend the TiledMapServiceLayer and wrap it with the Google Maps API for Flash. Both of these solutions should be doable and OK.
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Bjorn,

Thanks for clarifying. The issue with your option b (less limitations) is that the Google Map API for Flash is being depreciated. And the Issue with option a is that the map size would be limited to 640 x 640. Many of the people on the forum that are asking for this ability to use Google Maps as a basemap are not developer and would not know how to extend a DynamicMapServiceLayer or a TiledMapServiceLayer. So maybe every one will understand that though it is doable by a developer there limitations in capability as well as legality to deal with.
0 Kudos
IvanBaehr
New Contributor
Thanks Robert,

for referring to the legality issue. This is a crucial issue. We have a project partnership with Google Map Maker. The legal issue may find a solution through this partnership. We may look into Bjørn's suggestions although I am not a developer.

Thanks to both for your input.

Ivan Baehr
UNOSAT
0 Kudos
El_BoukfaouiReda
New Contributor II
Hi everybody,

Actually, I have two questions to ask :
[INDENT]1. Is Google Maps API for Flash usable despite the fact that it has been deprecated ?
2. Could anyone please specify the conditions in details for Google Maps use in The Flex context ? and is there legal constraints that prohibit using Google Maps on Flex ?
[/INDENT]

Regards.
0 Kudos