Flex Viewer 3 pop-up hyperlinks not working

07-11-2012 10:23 AM
KellyPhipps
New Contributor III
I've configured a popup with a hyperlink in the Flex Viewer 3.0 app, but the hyperlink does not work.  The URL that is referenced in the href is getting appended to the url of the of the mapping application.  For example, if my popup has a hyperlink to "www.yahoo.com", clicking the hyperlink will try to open http://myserver/myFlexViewerApp/www.yahoo.com

Hyperlinks in pop-ups worked fine in previous versions of the viewer.  Why are they acting differently with the 3.0 viewer?

Below is an the config for a sample popup (as defined with the application builder) that works fine in viewer 2.3, 2.5, but does not work in 3.0.  Any ideas would be much appreciated.

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<configuration>
<title>{TITLE}</title>
<description>
<![CDATA[
{NAME}
{ADDRESS}
<a href="www.yahoo.com">Example URL Link</a>
]]>
</description>
</configuration>
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
22 Replies
ErikBlake
Occasional Contributor III
Thanks Robert for the help. I will take your example and learn from it. Much appreciated. So I do all this in the pop-up config window in the description box that comes up in App builder when I select the layer I want to set this up for. Right? Sorry if this a dumb question.
Erik
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Erik,

Yes that is correct. But as the help link Heather provided below the only thing you will enter is this:

Sewer Tap: {DESCRIPTION}
Online: {ONLINE}
Last Updated: {LAST_UPDATED}
<a href='http://YOUR_WEB_SERVER/YOUR_VIRTUAL_DIRECTORY/{URL}' target='_blank'>View PDF</a>
0 Kudos
HeatherGonzago
Esri Contributor
Not sure if you saw the doc regarding pop-ups in App Builder 3.0? This App Builder version supports configuring pop-ups using free-flow description. Pop-ups using key-value style will also be supported in our next release of the App Builder.

For now, see if this may help provide a little more, http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#//01m30000004p000000.
0 Kudos
ErikBlake
Thanks again for your time and help Robert.
Erik
0 Kudos
deleted-user-OKUiI8RicOek
New Contributor
All,

UNC paths are for INTRANET and not intended for internet... I know some of you are saying well my Flex Viewer app is only used in my intranet, but it is an http internet application... Setup a virtual directory in IIS so that you have a real url to use.

This method seems to have a copy of the file downloaded to the client's temporary internet files folder.  What if I want them to actually open the file on the intranet share, in case they need to make edits to the file etc.?
0 Kudos
MatthewGoulet1
New Contributor III
The problem with using Description is that the subsequent <fields> cannot be displayed. This either/or situation makes it impossible to have one or more hyperlinks in the Description tag, then a table of fields. The limited set of HTML tags that can be used in Flex has no <table>-like element, so your tab stops will be 'jagged.'

So many limitations in this Flex Viewer app. They should just hire Robert and let him develop the platform properly!
0 Kudos
JakeKrall
Why does this need to be so difficult?  Can't Esri give us a straightforward answer, step by step, on how to achieve this?  Esri, please post instructions here and in the Flexviewer Help files on how to successfully accomplish this task of hyperlinking images.  Thank you!
0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
So, to beat this dead horse some more...

I have read this and many other related threads.  This one is the only thread that might be getting me closer to my answer.

In a popup in the Flex Application Builder v3.5, I am attempting to create a link to open a folder in a network share on our intranet.
In previous versions of the Flex Viewer, this worked:
<a href="file:{FILEPATH}" target='_blank'>Image Link</a>

FILEPATH = \\myserver\share\sub1\sub2

The link would open a browser window that would then open that folder in an Windows File Browser.
Now, obviously that does not work.

Again, I just want to open a FOLDER, not a specific file.

I have tried to reformat with at least 15 different recommendations with and without the "file:" and using all forward slashes in the link, or even a combination of forward and back slashes.  Now using "file:" to lead anything off gets me absolutely no action in IE9.

So I have attempted making Virtual Directory to the network share in IIS 6.  I don't even know where to start.  All searches on the web have talked just about redirecting to another website or FTP, not simply a network share folder.
Any help or links to walkthroughs on Virtual Directory IIS 6 setup would be a big help!!!

EDIT:
I did try opening the network share using the local "O:" drive mapping on everyone's computers without luck using "localhost" as a part of the link.

Thank you!
--Adam
0 Kudos
LuciHawkins

I am trying to accomplish something similar.  Did you ever come up with a solution to get a "Folder" to open in Windows Explorer and not Internet Explorer?

Thanks,

Luci

0 Kudos
JaroslawWalasztyn
New Contributor

To create hyperlinks pointing to data on network share is to create virtual directory on data you want to link. You cannot open folder as windows explorer from hyperlink, at least from esri builder, it seems to problem is in Adobe flex technology.

Regards

Jaroslaw

0 Kudos