Basic Documentation

07-26-2013 04:11 AM
deleted-user-yA_w_FC9FKe5
New Contributor III
Where can I find basic documentation on how to use the Flex Viewer.  You know like zoom in and zoom out.  I want to have something available for users when we roll out our system in the next couple of months.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor
Best thing to do is to download and play around with it.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Welcome_to_ArcGIS_Viewer_for_Fl...

It acts like a regular web map, with some neat widgets that can can customize.

Start with the Application Builder:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/index.html#/Installation_guide_for_Applicat...

Enjoy!
0 Kudos
BrianOevermann
Occasional Contributor III
Apologies for the length of this post.  You likely will not find much in the way of "basic documentation".  My interpretation of what you are asking is that you are looking for a basic help document that covers the basic interface and functionality.  The reality is that you will need to create your own.

You may find that various folks have shared bits and pieces of documents on the forums over the last few years, but aside from some of the basic graphics (like the navigation bar, for example), you really need to tailor the document to the way your application looks and operates.  Your users will be confused if, for example, they are looking at a graphic of the toolbar area in the help document and their application doesn't have the same tools.

Earlier this year I created a 4 session training seminar series for our internal staff.  I scheduled each session twice (3 times for the '101') and sent out the schedule.  Anyone wanting the training could simply show up.  For those that attended, the feedback was very positive and overall the training was well-received.  I plan on offering the series at regular intervals--once a quarter or Spring and Fall or whatever makes sense.  I plan on adding topics as necessary.

These training sessions were 1 hour in length and simply a 'show me' type of presentation.  In other words, the users were not doing hands-on activities.  There were two reasons for this decision.  We don't really have a training lab set up for this type of training and I didn't want to tie up staff for much longer than an hour for each session.  They usually don't have that much time to commit and I wanted the amount of information presented to be in more "bite-sized" chunks so that they would be encouraged to take notes and go back to their desks and play around on their own.

Attached are the handouts for each of those training sessions.  The topics covered in each are geared specifically for what my users indicated they wanted to know (like creating a notification list in under 5 minutes from the viewer) or what I believe they need to know to become 'power users' of the viewer application, constrained to an hour long session.

I hope these give you some ideas for your own users.  These were whipped up the morning before the first training session on that topic, with most of that time spent creating all of the screen shots.  I will admit that they could stand some refinement.

Enjoy!
0 Kudos