Select to view content in your preferred language

Application Builder

Jump to solution
04-24-2013 09:36 AM
AlAkans
Occasional Contributor
Hi,

Question:
Using ArcGIS viewer for flex 3.1,  changes poly line color to black when you add operational layers, but when you include the operational layer as a folder. all the lines and points display the correct colors set up in Arcmap. I would like to include operational layers seperatly not as folder. What can I do to have application builder display the poly line color the same as in Arcmap?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Al
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AlAkans
Occasional Contributor
Al,

Use ArcGIS Server 10 or greater or specify symbology for that layer (which I don't believe is supported in the App Builder GUI, but can easily be done my editing the config.xml manually).

Documentation for this found here: look for the Rendering and Symbology section.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/01m3/01m300000053000000.htm

Don't forget to click the Mark as answer check on this post and to click the top arrow (promote).
Follow these steps as shown in the below graphic:

Thank you for quick reply Bob, I knew I would get an answer from you. Yes, changing the poly line symbology in the config file
manually does work, I was wondering, when you include the folder (that contains all of your layer points, lines and polygons)
does not change the color to black. Could the problem be with Adobe AIR?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Al,

Use ArcGIS Server 10 or greater or specify symbology for that layer (which I don't believe is supported in the App Builder GUI, but can easily be done my editing the config.xml manually).

Documentation for this found here: look for the Rendering and Symbology section.
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/flex-viewer/concepts/01m3/01m300000053000000.htm

Don't forget to click the Mark as answer check on this post and to click the top arrow (promote).

0 Kudos
AlAkans
Occasional Contributor
Al,

Thank you for quick reply Bob, I knew I would get an answer from you. Yes, changing the poly line symbology in the config file
manually does work, I was wondering, when you include the folder (that contains all of your layer points, lines and polygons)
does not change the color to black. Could the problem be with Adobe AIR?
0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus
Al,

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using? The difference in adding the folder as you call it, adds the Map Service as a dynamic layer and thus the rendering is done on the server and images are returned to the client and adding individual layers the rendering is done client side.
0 Kudos
AlAkans
Occasional Contributor
Al,

What version of ArcGIS Server are you using? The difference in adding the folder as you call it, adds the Map Service as a dynamic layer and thus the rendering is done on the server and images are returned to the client and adding individual layers the rendering is done client side.

I am using ArcGIS server 10 and ArcGIS 10.1 on the client side. What software is rendering the operational layer on the client side?
is it application builder, Adobe AIR or ArcGIS?
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Notable Contributor
Hi,

Question:
Using ArcGIS viewer for flex 3.1,  changes poly line color to black when you add operational layers, but when you include the operational layer as a folder. all the lines and points display the correct colors set up in Arcmap. I would like to include operational layers seperatly not as folder. What can I do to have application builder display the poly line color the same as in Arcmap?
Thank you in advance for your help.
Al

Al,

Another option to preserve the colors in arcmap would be to make a map document with just the lines, another for the points (basically, a mxd and thus a service for each layer).  Then you can add the "folder", but will only have the one sevice in it, will be "similar" to adding just the layer but will honor the symbology set in ArcMap. 

R_

Flex app in the browser is the "client".
0 Kudos
AlAkans
Occasional Contributor
Al,

Another option to preserve the colors in arcmap would be to make a map document with just the lines, another for the points (basically, a mxd and thus a service for each layer).  Then you can add the "folder", but will only have the one sevice in it, will be "similar" to adding just the layer but will honor the symbology set in ArcMap. 

R_

Flex app in the browser is the "client".

The solution to the poly line rendering problem is not use multi layer line symbology. Robert M. from ESRI found and offered this
solution. We had used a multi layer line symbology that the bottom layer color was black. The application builder was rendering the poly line using the bottom layer which was black.

Thank you all for your help.
0 Kudos