Select to view content in your preferred language

Streaming Location of Vehicle Shared Publicly?

Jump to solution
10-27-2022 07:08 AM
ArmstKP
Frequent Contributor

I have noticed that any streaming service created/stored in Velocity is NOT able to be shared publicly?

We would love to share location of plows on our public map, but currently this seem not possible???

0 Kudos
12 Replies
MattGeorge1
Occasional Contributor

I’ve been following along here reading the comments and trying to figure out the best workflow to get my Velocity feed output to a public map.  Goal is to show where our snow plows have been and where they currently are.

I have a the feed setup with our winter ops trucks, all the arcade expressions have been parsed the array coming in from the AVL source.  Correct me if I’m wrong, but if I want to share a public facing layer I need to turn off “Store data in spatiotemporal feature layer and setup a (new) layer.  I’ve read the documentation, but there’s a lot of it and it’s a little confusing.  After turning off spatiotemporal,  Choose Add all new features, keep existing features and schema.  I could call this layer Winter fleet (past locations)

Then setup another layer, again (not a streaming layer output in Velocity), but another Configure feature layer (New) call it current locations and also don’t turn on spatiotemporal feature layer, choose “Keep only latest feature for each Track ID value.

Would this be the only way to get the Velocity feed onto a public facing map?  Understood I’ll need to play around with how long I run the analytic that produces the outputs and watch my feeds to not burn up too many credits or grow the cloud storage too big.  I suppose if this works it’s really one of the big differences between setting up on ArcGIS Server Geoevent vs Velocity?

Could someone explain when it be best to run a stream layer in Velocity if my above is the only way to get a public map out.  My understanding is the stream layer is a Velocity feature which is why it won’t share to public, would choosing a stream layer be used for internal OpsDash features and functions.   

Thanks, Matt

PeterNasuti
Esri Contributor

Happy to clarify a few items:

Velocity-backed layers (map, feature, or stream layers) cannot be shared to the public, however they can be shared to the Organization

ArcGIS Velocity can write to/create new ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers (uncheck store in spatiotemporal as you had mentioned), which can be shared with the public

ArcGIS Velocity can write to existing ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers which can be shared with the public, using the Feature layer (existing) output

ArcGIS Velocity can write to existing ArcGIS Server feature services using the Feature layer (existing) output, and of course your ArcGIS Server feature services can be shared to the public

Additionally, Feature layer (new) or Feature layer (existing) Velocity outputs to ArcGIS Online hosted feature layers only allow outputs of up to 120 records written per minute. This is an ArcGIS Online limitation.

MattGeorge1
Occasional Contributor

@PeterNasuti Thanks Peter

0 Kudos