Select to view content in your preferred language

How to edit multiple records in spatiotemporal feature layers?

Jump to solution
12-13-2022 08:20 AM
JimWei
by
New Contributor II

Hi there, 

I am having a hard time editing multiple records at once with Velocity's spatiotemporal layers. Velocity output layers seem to lose a lot of functionalities you would expect from regular hosted feature layers. 

Two strategies I frequently use for editing involves using field calculator in ArcGIS Online, and ArcGIS Pro editing. However, these two options are also not available when it comes to spatiotemporal layers. Please see attached screenshots. 

I understand it's possible to perform these operations using the REST Endpoint, but it is cumbersome when you are making changes in a test/development environment, or doing proof of concepts.

@PeterNasuti

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Yini_Song
Esri Contributor

@JimWei Thank you for posting the question!

To answer your question, ArcGIS Pro is expected to be able to show attribute tables and pop-ups for the Velocity-hosted feature layer. This current behavior is a bug and the Velocity team is investigating this issue. I understand that you are also trying to use ArcGIS Online to calculate and edit multiple records, we will reach out to the online team to see if there is a pathway to enhance Velocity layers to support that embedded calculator and if so we would take this on as a future product enhancement.

For now, if you want to calculate your data, you can use the build-in calculation tool in Velocity. You can use Big Data Analytic to load features through a feature layer source, and process the features with the 'Calculate Field' or 'Map fields' tool, and write to a feature layer (existing) to keep the latest output to replace them. If you do not want to replace your existing data, you could also write it to a new feature layer.

Calculate Field - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/iot/analyze/calculate-field.htm

Map Fields - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/iot/analyze/map-fields.htm 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Yini_Song
Esri Contributor

@JimWei Thank you for posting the question!

To answer your question, ArcGIS Pro is expected to be able to show attribute tables and pop-ups for the Velocity-hosted feature layer. This current behavior is a bug and the Velocity team is investigating this issue. I understand that you are also trying to use ArcGIS Online to calculate and edit multiple records, we will reach out to the online team to see if there is a pathway to enhance Velocity layers to support that embedded calculator and if so we would take this on as a future product enhancement.

For now, if you want to calculate your data, you can use the build-in calculation tool in Velocity. You can use Big Data Analytic to load features through a feature layer source, and process the features with the 'Calculate Field' or 'Map fields' tool, and write to a feature layer (existing) to keep the latest output to replace them. If you do not want to replace your existing data, you could also write it to a new feature layer.

Calculate Field - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/iot/analyze/calculate-field.htm

Map Fields - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/iot/analyze/map-fields.htm 

JimWei
by
New Contributor II

Thank you for you response @Yini_Song, it would be great if you could attach the enhancement/bug numbers here for tracking.

While the map field and calculate field tools are viable, I am not able to make updates without creating new data analytics or new feature layers. My workflow requires me to aggregate data for the latest features, and add data to an existing feature layer.

If I create new spatiotemporal feature layers, I would have to use ArcGIS Online assistant to update the layers for my ArcGIS dashboards/experience builders, which is more cumbersome.

ArmstKP
Regular Contributor

I have the exact same issue!!

0 Kudos
Yini_Song
Esri Contributor

hi @ArmstKP , thanks for reporting the issue. we are currently working on fixing this bug and it should be fixed for the next release. 

0 Kudos
Yini_Song
Esri Contributor

Hi @JimW Unfortunately, I don't think you will be able to access our internal GitHub repo to track the bug but I will keep you updated on the process.

For your workflow, you could write your data to an existing feature layer and set the layer property as 'keep latest'. Hope that will help.

0 Kudos
Yini_Song
Esri Contributor

Hi @JimWei , to track the status of this issue, you could log a support case, and I can link the internal ticket in the support case so you will be able to get the newest updates on this issue. 

JimWei
by
New Contributor II
Thank you Yini, I will try that.
0 Kudos