How To: Leverage Snap to Network to enrich vehicle observations with roadway information for speeding detection

01-20-2021 07:53 AM

How To: Leverage Snap to Network to enrich vehicle observations with roadway information for speeding detection

In the attached how-to document available below, we demonstrate how to use ArcGIS Velocity to ingest historical vehicle observation data for a fleet in Sacramento, California, calculate motion statistics, snap observations to a local roadway network, enrich observations with relevant roadway attributes, and then process this location data to generate information such as:

• Vehicle motion statistics including speed, distance covered, acceleration and idling for each
    observation feature
  • What road segment the vehicle was traveling on during each observation, including the name
    and speed limit of that road segment
  • The deviation between the speed the vehicle was traveling for each observation and the speed
    limit for that roadway
Attachments
Comments

@PeterNasuti Thank you for this post.  One question though, when I open model view and add feeds or anything, I do not see "Snap to Network" as a tool in any of the menus?  Does it only appear if my data meets certain requirements?

@ArmstKP Thanks for your post! From your description, it sounds like you are working in a real-time analytic. At the current production release, Snap to Network is only available in big data analytics.

Good news however! The next release of ArcGIS Velocity (3.3, planned for early November this year) adds the Snap to Network tool to real-time analytics.

Until then, you could configure a scheduled big data analytic that runs every x minutes to process the output of your real-time analytic and snap the features to your network.

Near-real-time analysis documentation 

@PeterNasuti Ok great!  Thanks so much for that information!

Version history
Last update:
‎01-20-2021 07:53 AM
Updated by: