Is it possible to use vector base maps in Portal for ArcGIS?

Jump to solution
06-20-2019 02:04 PM
ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

I've been testing the functionality  of the ArcGIS Vector Tile Style Editor described in this ArcGIS Blog Post: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/developers/mapping/design-custom-basemaps-with-the-new-arc...

I'm wondering it is possible to consume the customs basemap in my organization's portal? I have a web map hosted in Portal that could really use a custom basemap.

Anyone have any success with this?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I was able to customize an ESRI light grey vector basemap in our Portal with help from this story map: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=a74a8b251f6141fa9561041d36ea56e3 

I created a quick style with the Vector Style Editor and downloaded it as a json. In Portal, I added an ESRI vector basemap to a webmap (NOT as a basemap, just as a normal layer; Living Atlas content needs to be configured in Portal), copied it as a layer in the TOC, then on that new copy, clicked the 3 dot menu, clicked on Save Layer. On that new saved item in Portal, on its item details page, you can Update style with the json you exported from the Style Editor. 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

I was able to customize an ESRI light grey vector basemap in our Portal with help from this story map: https://www.arcgis.com/apps/Cascade/index.html?appid=a74a8b251f6141fa9561041d36ea56e3 

I created a quick style with the Vector Style Editor and downloaded it as a json. In Portal, I added an ESRI vector basemap to a webmap (NOT as a basemap, just as a normal layer; Living Atlas content needs to be configured in Portal), copied it as a layer in the TOC, then on that new copy, clicked the 3 dot menu, clicked on Save Layer. On that new saved item in Portal, on its item details page, you can Update style with the json you exported from the Style Editor. 

ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

Awesome! Thank you for the reply Chelsea, I followed your steps and it seems to be working (although there were a nervous few minutes where nothing was loading in my Web Map in Portal). 

Cheers!

Chris

0 Kudos
ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

Hello again. I have a follow up question. I was able to create great looking custom vector tile basemap and it looks great in ArcGIS Online - but if I follow the above steps and apply the .json to a Vector Tile Basemap in Portal, i'm encountering rendering issues (it won't redraw as I zoom in). Have you encountered this? I'm wondering if it has something to do with the version of portal i'm using.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Which version of Portal are you on? We're on 10.7. Can you upload a copy of the .json? I haven't used a custom vector tile basemap in production yet, so I haven't had a chance to run into any issues.

0 Kudos
ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

I'm on version 10.5.1  I can't seem to attach the source code here - but I sent one via email.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Did you send it to my work email? I haven't received anything yet. Our spam filters may have been a little overzealous. Could you try zipping it or sending it as a .txt file?

0 Kudos
ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

Sorry about that. I've attached the .json file. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ChelseaRozek
MVP Regular Contributor

Nice classic look! It seems to be visualizing fine for me in the Portal Map Viewer. Draws at a reasonable speed when zooming. Do you see a difference in drawing between the map viewer and an application? Would you be able to upgrade Portal?

0 Kudos
ChristopherBates
New Contributor III

That's good to hear. Can i ask what version of Portal you are using? It may be possible for me tot upgrade. 

For reference, this is what it currently looks like when I try to view it in Portal Viewer:

0 Kudos