Hillshade in vector tile editor not appearing in web maps.

Jump to solution
09-07-2018 02:02 PM
ChristianGort
New Contributor

Hello. I am using the Vector Tile Style Editor (beta). I have updated my colors, set background to hillshade, and set the "Land" transparency to 80%. It looks great in the editor and I hit save. Now when I open the tile layer in a new web map, the hillshade is gone. I can add another layer, like "World Hillshade", but it's a separate layer and looks poor when zooming in/out. Have I missed something that doesn't allow me to save the transparency to keep the hillshade visible? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

Hi Christian,

When saving a custom vector tile layer (i.e. style) from the Vector Tile Style Editor app, it only saves the vector tile layer.  A tile layer can only be vector (your style) OR raster (hillshade), not both.  The Editor does not save out as a Web Map.  The background hillshade and imagery available to view in the Editor are as background images, for reference only.  You will need to compile a web map from the layer(s) you wish to display.  This is the hillshade that's available as a background layer in the Editor and can be added to your web map to go with your custom style that has the transparency applied.  Add both layers, move them to the base layer and order them accordingly. 
To your other point of less than ideal performance having the vector map and raster relief... there is a known issue with the latency of the display when panning and zooming.  Alternatives to improve this appearance are in work. 

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Andy-Green
Esri Contributor

Hi Christian,

When saving a custom vector tile layer (i.e. style) from the Vector Tile Style Editor app, it only saves the vector tile layer.  A tile layer can only be vector (your style) OR raster (hillshade), not both.  The Editor does not save out as a Web Map.  The background hillshade and imagery available to view in the Editor are as background images, for reference only.  You will need to compile a web map from the layer(s) you wish to display.  This is the hillshade that's available as a background layer in the Editor and can be added to your web map to go with your custom style that has the transparency applied.  Add both layers, move them to the base layer and order them accordingly. 
To your other point of less than ideal performance having the vector map and raster relief... there is a known issue with the latency of the display when panning and zooming.  Alternatives to improve this appearance are in work. 

ChristianGort
New Contributor

Oh right, that makes sense! The work around you mentioned was exactly what I had done, just wasn't a fan of the latency. Look forward to the future improvements so these types of layers can work in tandem. Thanks for the answer and clarification.

0 Kudos