Are transparent backgrounds possible in vector basemaps?

Jump to solution
08-30-2018 05:20 PM
ReedHunter
New Contributor III

Is it possible to create a vector basemap .vtpk file with a transparent background?

My scenario is that I will want to create and load several vector basemap files into the same map.  I have an ArcGIS Runtime mapping application with both basemap layers and operational layers, and there are points, lines, and polygons among both the basemap and operational layers.  Cartographically, I need points on top of lines on top of polygons, so I need to mix my basemap and operational layers. The top to bottom Z order in other words needs to be ...

• - operational layer points,
  • - basemap points,
  • - operational layer lines,
  • - basemap lines,
  • - operational layer polygons, and then lastly
  • - basemap polygons.

If I want to use vector basemaps then that makes 3 basemap .vtpk files I'll package into an mmpk.  The catch is that ArcGIS Pro is forcing a white background layer for my vector basemaps, and the transparency symbol option doesn't seem to be available for the background layer in the p12\resources\styles\root.json file.  That white background is blocking everything below my basemap point layer.

Is there a way to make that white background either missing or transparent for vector tile basemaps?

Thanks

-Reed

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ReedHunter
New Contributor III

I upgraded my ArcGIS Pro installation from version 2.0 to 2.1.3, and found a way to accomplish this.

In ArcGIS Pro's contents panel where the map and layers are listed ...

1. right click the map's name and select "Properties"
  2. In the Map Properties dialog, select the "General" section on the left, => "Background Color" dropdown => No Color
  3. make visible those layers you want to include in your vector tile package, and then run the Create Vector Tile Package geoprocessing tool.

Following this approach I was able to make several vector tile packages that played nice with one another in a mashup map, not obscuring one another.

-Reed

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
ReedHunter
New Contributor III

I upgraded my ArcGIS Pro installation from version 2.0 to 2.1.3, and found a way to accomplish this.

In ArcGIS Pro's contents panel where the map and layers are listed ...

1. right click the map's name and select "Properties"
  2. In the Map Properties dialog, select the "General" section on the left, => "Background Color" dropdown => No Color
  3. make visible those layers you want to include in your vector tile package, and then run the Create Vector Tile Package geoprocessing tool.

Following this approach I was able to make several vector tile packages that played nice with one another in a mashup map, not obscuring one another.

-Reed

0 Kudos