Portal - use multiple styles with a single vector tile layer?

Jump to solution
06-15-2021 08:00 AM
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

We are just getting started with vector tile layers.  I've created a vector tile layer (in Pro) and published it to our Portal.  I'd like to use this single VTL in a variety of ways by applying different styling.  Example:  I have a daytime and a nighttime basemap.  I'd like to have two different styles that can be used with my VTL so that it displays legibly over either a dark base and a light base. 

Is this possible in Portal?

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is definitely possible, though the process may look different depending on your Portal version.

1. Go to your main Vector Tile Service; it will be the one that says it was created from a Vector Tile Package.

jcarlson_0-1623769973581.png

2. Open it in a web map. When you click "Change Style", you will be prompted to save a copy.

jcarlson_1-1623770042017.pngjcarlson_2-1623770054578.png

3. Save the copy, then adjust the style! Additional copies should be made from the "main" item as needed.

Alternate: You Don't Have the Vector Style Editor in Portal

I can't remember what version the style editor got implemented at, but if you find yourself in an earlier version where that's not an option, then do the following:

1. Go to the main Vector Tile service
  2. Open in a web map
  3. Create a copy of the item
  4. Save the copy as a new layer

jcarlson_3-1623773219572.pngjcarlson_4-1623773237554.png

To update the style on your copy, you'll need to download the style JSON and edit it manually, which is a bit of an obnoxious process. You can also share the item across to an AGOL org to open the style in the Style Editor there, then download the JSON.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

This is definitely possible, though the process may look different depending on your Portal version.

1. Go to your main Vector Tile Service; it will be the one that says it was created from a Vector Tile Package.

jcarlson_0-1623769973581.png

2. Open it in a web map. When you click "Change Style", you will be prompted to save a copy.

jcarlson_1-1623770042017.pngjcarlson_2-1623770054578.png

3. Save the copy, then adjust the style! Additional copies should be made from the "main" item as needed.

Alternate: You Don't Have the Vector Style Editor in Portal

I can't remember what version the style editor got implemented at, but if you find yourself in an earlier version where that's not an option, then do the following:

1. Go to the main Vector Tile service
  2. Open in a web map
  3. Create a copy of the item
  4. Save the copy as a new layer

jcarlson_3-1623773219572.pngjcarlson_4-1623773237554.png

To update the style on your copy, you'll need to download the style JSON and edit it manually, which is a bit of an obnoxious process. You can also share the item across to an AGOL org to open the style in the Style Editor there, then download the JSON.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
0 Kudos
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Hey Josh, thanks - it always helps to know that what I want to do is POSSIBLE. 

And your step-by-step details with screen shots are awesome.

I'll work with this a bit and see if I can get somewhere.

Jay
Washoe County GIS
0 Kudos