When can attribute propagation be configured and can I have propaged attributes in more than one domain?

Jump to solution
07-17-2020 11:21 AM
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

I have just finished watching the Esri UC 2020 Utility Network Management: Advanced Capabilities session.  I currently have not set up a utility network, though I will be soon, so trying to understand it as much as possible.  I have two questions about Attribute Propagation.

1. One of the things mentioned in the session was that Attribute Propagation is configured when the network is being created.  Is there any way to configure it later?  I don't currently have the data that would be needed for attribute propagation, or even know what attributes my users would want propagated, but if, in the future I wanted to add attribute propagation, how would I do it?

2. The presenters indicated that there can be only one propagated attribute per utility network.  It want to make sure I understand this correctly, there can be only one propagated attribute per Utility Network, not utility domain?  So if I have a utility network that contains water, sewer, storm, electric, and fiber (yes, I work on a university campus that manages all of those utilities), I could only have only one propagated attribute for only one utility (e.g. pressure in the water system), and not one for each utility domain (e.g., another one for phases in electric)?

Cheryl T

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Cheryl

Hopefully you enjoyed our first virtual UC.  

In response to your first question.  You can configure propagation after creating the utility network.  You configure propagation using the GP tool Set Subnetwork Definition.  You must disable the network topology before executing Set Subnetwork Definition.  This is very easy to do from a model.

In response to your second question.  Since you set propagation using the Set Subnetwork Definition GP tool, propagation is specific to each tier, not each domain network.  So if you have three domain network with three tiers in each, you could have six different propagators configured.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com

View solution in original post

2 Replies
JohnAlsup
Esri Contributor

Hi Cheryl

Hopefully you enjoyed our first virtual UC.  

In response to your first question.  You can configure propagation after creating the utility network.  You configure propagation using the GP tool Set Subnetwork Definition.  You must disable the network topology before executing Set Subnetwork Definition.  This is very easy to do from a model.

In response to your second question.  Since you set propagation using the Set Subnetwork Definition GP tool, propagation is specific to each tier, not each domain network.  So if you have three domain network with three tiers in each, you could have six different propagators configured.

John Alsup
jalsup@esri.com
CherylTrine
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks for the clarification.  I am glad it was just a misunderstanding.  So, multiple propagated attributes, but

just one per tier, which can be set "at any time".

I can hardly wait 10.8.1  to come out because that is when we will start implementing the utility network!

Thanks, much,

Cheryl

0 Kudos